My meter has been locked by Cross Connection (bright colored laminated tag) for non-compliance. How do I get it unlocked?
  1. Go to make a payment for the unlock
    1. Select “TRIP CHARGE” then enter your address
    2. Proceed with the $75 unlock payment
    3. Upon completion you and the City will receive a paid receipt confirmation.
  2. Hire a certified approved backflow tester.  If you do not know how to find a tester, please follow the steps below:
    1. Go to 
    2. Enter your CCN: XXXX-XXXX.  If you do not know your CCN please email and request your CCN. Please provide your address in the email.
  3. The approved backflow tester shall coordinate with one of our Code Compliance Officers to schedule a date and time to meet on site.
    1. Lonnie Boone, Senior CCC Compliance Officer
    2. Thomas Stern, CCC Compliance Officer I
  4. Our inspector will meet the tester, unlock the meter and wait until the tester performs the test. The CCC staff will wait up to 15 min. of the selected time/date. After 15 min. if the tester fails to show up the $75 unlock fee will be forfeited and all the steps above will need to be repeated.
    1. If the backflow passes, the meter will remain unlocked.
    2. If the backflow fails, the meter will be locked back.
  5. Upon passing test results, the tester will provide a copy of the test results to City staff and City staff will make the backflow ACTIVE in BSI.
  6. Certified Tester shall manually enter the test results into within 24 hours of the test.

Show All Answers

1. What types of backflow conditions exist?
2. What is Backsiphonage?
3. What factors can cause backsiphonage?
4. What is backpressure?
5. What factors can cause backpressure?
6. What is a cross connection?
7. What is the most common form of a cross connection?
8. What is an Atmospheric Vacuum Breaker (AVB)?
9. Will an Anti-Siphon Vacuum Breaker protect against backpressure?
10. What is continuous pressure?
11. Can an AVB be used under continuous pressure?
12. What is a Hose Bibb Vacuum Breaker (HBVB)?
13. Can I tie my lawn irrigation/sprinkler system to my outside AVB or HBVB?
14. If I have an existing lawn irrigation/sprinkler system do I need a backflow preventer?
15. If I have a new lawn irrigation/sprinkler system do I have to have a separate irrigation meter?
16. When do I need to get a backflow permit? Do I also need a Plumbing Permit?
17. As a homeowner, can I install my own backflow preventer?
18. Do I need a plumbing permit to install a backflow preventer?
19. What if I have a commercial property or I just don’t feel comfortable doing the work myself, who can I hire?
20. How do I become a certified backflow tester in Durham?
21. Are re-certification classes every 2 years necessary?
22. Why can’t we have one universal State backflow testing form for each jurisdiction?
23. What if I want to test backflows outside of Durham?
24. Why do I have to be a properly licensed contractor to test backflows in Durham?
25. How often do I have to test my backflow preventer?
26. My meter has been locked by Cross Connection (bright colored laminated tag) for non-compliance. How do I get it unlocked?
27. What if I have a temporary use that requires a backflow preventer assembly, do I have to get a permit, inspection, etc.?
28. How do I pay for backflow permits, re-inspection fee, CCC Plan Review, Work without permit, CCC Class Enrollment, and any other associated fee with Cross Connection?
29. What does it take to be ASSE 1060-Certified for Freeze Protection Insulated Enclosures?