Why do I have to be a properly licensed contractor to test backflows in Durham?
North Carolina has a statewide licensing program for Plumbing, Utility, and Fire Protection Contractors. Part of the State licensing General Statue requirements is that these individuals are properly trained and certified to preform trouble shooting beyond the routine annual testing. By law, installation and repairs of backflow preventers can only be performed by a properly licensed person, carrying this requirement over to include testing allows the City of Durham to ensure quality work is carried over to each customer.

Show All Answers

1. What types of backflow conditions exist?
2. What is Backsiphonage?
3. What factors can cause backsiphonage?
4. What is backpressure?
5. What factors can cause backpressure?
6. What is a cross connection?
7. What is the most common form of a cross connection?
8. What is an Atmospheric Vacuum Breaker (AVB)?
9. Will an Anti-Siphon Vacuum Breaker protect against backpressure?
10. What is continuous pressure?
11. Can an AVB be used under continuous pressure?
12. What is a Hose Bibb Vacuum Breaker (HBVB)?
13. Can I tie my lawn irrigation/sprinkler system to my outside AVB or HBVB?
14. If I have an existing lawn irrigation/sprinkler system do I need a backflow preventer?
15. If I have a new lawn irrigation/sprinkler system do I have to have a separate irrigation meter?
16. When do I need to get a backflow permit? Do I also need a Plumbing Permit?
17. As a homeowner, can I install my own backflow preventer?
18. Do I need a plumbing permit to install a backflow preventer?
19. What if I have a commercial property or I just don’t feel comfortable doing the work myself, who can I hire?
20. How do I become a certified backflow tester in Durham?
21. Are re-certification classes every 2 years necessary?
22. Why can’t we have one universal State backflow testing form for each jurisdiction?
23. What if I want to test backflows outside of Durham?
24. Why do I have to be a properly licensed contractor to test backflows in Durham?
25. How often do I have to test my backflow preventer?
26. What if I have a temporary use that requires a backflow preventer assembly, do I have to get a permit, inspection, etc.?
27. How do I pay for backflow permits, re-inspection fee, CCC Plan Review, Work without permit, CCC Class Enrollment, and any other associated fee with Cross Connection?