July 26, 2019
Notice of Upcoming Public Meetings and Planning Events
Please note: Agenda items are current at time of posting, but may not be available for review at this time. Items may be changed, updated, or added after the initial posting.
Check out ENGAGEDurham, the new website for a pilot of coordinated community engagement for the City and County!
Based on the City’s Equitable Community Engagement Blueprint, ENGAGEDurham is a pilot initiative to coordinate engagement efforts between City/County Planning, City Transportation, City Neighborhood Improvement Services, and City General Services Departments. This pilot will be a multi-year engagement process to influence outcomes for a variety of projects, including our new Comprehensive Plan, new County Transit Plan, the Belt Line trail, the Move Durham study, the Third Fork Creek Trail extension, and the R. Kelly Bryant Bridge Trail.
Check out the site, with links to information on each of the projects, and sign up to receive email or text updates as these projects progress!
Planning Fee Changes Effective July 1, 2019
The City of Durham FY 2019-20 Budget was adopted on June 17, 2019, by the Durham City Council. Some Planning Department fee changes were included in the budget and, as of July 1, 2019, are currently effective. Many of the changes were to make the language of the fee ordinance clearer, but there were a few increases in fees. The updated Planning Fee Schedule can be found by clicking here.
Durham City-County Planning to Host New "Ask a Planner" Sessions
Want to know more about potential land use changes and other public hearing items being heard by the Durham City-County Planning Commission, and ultimately the Durham City Council and Durham County Board of Commissioners? Now you can do so during monthly ‘Ask a Planner’ sessions. On the second Tuesday of every month before the regularly scheduled Durham City-County Planning Commission meetings that begin at 5:30 p.m., Planning Department staff will be available to provide information about public hearing items on the agenda for that evening’s meeting. The case planners will be in the City Council Chambers, located on the first floor of City Hall at 101 City Hall Plaza, from 4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. The first ‘Ask a Planner’ session will be held immediately preceding the August 13th Planning Commission Meeting.
Upcoming Public Meetings
Durham City Council Monday, August 5, 2019, 7:00 p.m.City Council Chambers 1st FloorCity Hall,101 City Hall PlazaLink to the Durham City Council Agenda
The Durham City Council will hold a public hearing on August 5, 2019
, at 7:00 p.m. in the City Council Chambers, 1st
Floor, 101 City Hall Plaza. Annexation
- East Carver Street (BDG1900002) A request for voluntary annexation of 10.18 contiguous acres of street right-of-way of East Carver Street, between Danube Lane and Cub Creek Road.
- Cardinal Oaks (BDG1900006) A request for a voluntary annexation for a 0.452 contiguous acre parcel generally located at Kinnakeet Drive and Cheek Road.
Zoning Map Changes
- Compact Suburban Design District (TC1800009) (Continued from May 6, 2019) Amendments to Article 16, Design Districts, and other associated sections, to establish new standards for the proposed Compact Suburban Design (CSD) zoning district, and other technical amendments to current Design District zoning standards. Note: This text amendment is associated with zoning map change Z1800030 Patterson Place Design District.
- East Carver Street Initial (Z1900003A) East Carver Street, between Danube Lane and Cub Creek Road; request to change the zoning designation from Residential Suburban-20, Falls/Jordan Watershed Protection Overlay District B (RS-20, F/J-B, County Jurisdiction) to Residential Suburban-20, Falls/Jordan Watershed Protection Overlay District B (RS-20, F/J-B, City Jurisdiction).
- Cardinal Oaks (Z1900024A) generally located at Kinnakeet Drive and Cheek Road; request to change the zoning designation from Residential Rural Zoning District, Falls/Jordan Watershed Protection Overlay District B, (RR, F/J-B, County Jurisdiction) to Residential Rural Zoning District, Falls/Jordan Watershed Protection Overlay District B (RR, F/J-B, City Jurisdiction).
- Patterson Place Design District (Z1800030) (Continued from May 6, 2019) Located near the intersection of Interstate 40 and US Highway 15-501, parcels within or partially within the Compact Neighborhood Tier; a request to change the existing zoning districts from Commercial Center with a Development Plan (CC(D)), Commercial Neighborhood with a Development Plan (CN(D)), Commercial General with a Development Plan (CG(D)), Commercial General (CG), Commercial Neighborhood (CN), Mixed Use (MU), Mixed Use with a Development Plan (MU(D)), Industrial Light (IL), Office and Institutional (OI), Office and Institutional with a Development Plan (OI(D)), Residential Suburban-20 (RS-20), Planned Development Residential (PDR), Residential Rural (RR), and Residential Suburban Multifamily with a Development Plan (RS-M(D)) to Compact Suburban Design - Core (CSD-C), Compact Suburban Design - Sub-District 1 (CSD-S1), Compact Suburban Design - Sub-District 2 (CSD-S2), and Residential Rural (RR). This zoning map change is associated with text amendment TC1800009 Compact Suburban Design District.
Special Use Permit
- Mist Lake (SC1800012) Request to permanently close 1,336–linear feet of Mist Lake Drive, south of Camden Avenue.
- NCCU Student Center Major Special Use Permit (M1900001/D1800303) Requests for a major special use permit (MSUP) (M1900001) and a major site plan (D1800303) have been received from O’Brien/Adkins Associates for the development of a 2.5-story Student Center on the campus of North Carolina Central University totaling 105,000 square feet on a 1.48 acre portion of the 8.99 acre site, zoned Residential Urban – 5(2) [RU-5(2)] and University and College-2 (UC-2) and located within the Urban Tier.
- 1435 Camden Avenue (M1900002/D1800322) Requests for a major special use permit (MSUP) (M1900002) and a major site plan (D1800322) have been received from Morningstar Law Group for the construction of a ready-mix concrete manufacturing facility and to utilize four existing single-story buildings totaling 6,142 square feet on a 2.26 acre portion of a 10.058 acre site, zoned Industrial (I), Major Transportation Corridor I-85 (MTC I-85) overlay, and Falls/Jordan District B Watershed Protection Overlay (F/J-B).
The application, staff reports, and maps can be reviewed at the City-County Planning Department, 101 City Hall Plaza, Ground Floor, weekdays between 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., email or call 919-560-4137, contact Jamie.Sunyak@DurhamNC.gov
, ext. 28235 for cases: BDG1900002/Z1900003A, SC1800012; Emily.Struthers@DurhamNC.gov
, ext. 28263 for cases: BDG1900006/Z1900024A; Eliza.Monroe@DurhamNC.gov
ext. 28245 for cases M1900001/D1800303; Danny.Cultra@DurhamNC.gov
ext. 28238 for cases M1900002/D1800322;Lisa.Miller@durhamnc.gov
, ext. 28270, for cases. TC1800009/Z1800030.Public Participation:
Interested parties may appear at the meeting. Any person wishing to speak at the public hearing should be present at 7:00 p.m. and sign up on the sheet provided. The Mayor will recognize all persons wishing to speak. Substantial changes to a proposed action may be made following the public hearing for each case.
Historic Preservation Commission
Tuesday, August 6, 2019, 8:30 a.m.
Committee Room, 2nd Floor,
City Hall, 101 City Hall Plaza
Link to the Durham Historic Preservation Commission Agenda
Public Hearings - Requests for Major Certificates of Appropriateness
- 1112 Arnette Street (COA1900044) is a request to reconstruct a side screened porch; infill window and door openings; new rear deck.
- 2108 West Club Boulevard (COA1900047) is a request to expand second-floor addition; construct new first-floor rear addition; modifications to front porch columns and railing.
- 1907 West Club Boulevard (COA1900048) is a request for a new rear addition and deck; relocate existing rear fence and gravel drive.
- 411 East Main Street (COA1900054) is a request to install monument sign on northwest corner of lot.
- 1907 West Club Boulevard (COA1900060) is a request for demolition of a contributing accessory structure.
- 321 Liggett Street (LD1900001) is a request for partial repeal of landmark designation status.
Public Review: The applications, staff reports, and maps may be reviewed at the City-County Planning Department, 101 City Hall Plaza, Ground Floor, between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. For further information contact Preservation@DurhamNC.gov, or call 919-560-4137. Please reference the project case number.
Public Participation: Any person may attend the public hearing and should be present at 8:30 a.m. The Chair will recognize all persons wishing to speak and will allocate time to individual speakers based upon the number of persons to be heard. Substantial changes to the proposed action may be made following the public hearing. The Chair reserves the right to limit repetitive or hearsay testimony.
Durham County Board of County Commissioners
Monday, August 12, 2019, 7:00 p.m.
Commissioners Meeting Room, 2nd Floor
200 E. Main Street
The Board of County Commissioners will hold a public hearing, August 12, 2019, at 7:00 p.m., 2nd floor, Commissioners' Meeting Room, 200 E. Main Street.
- No items will be presented by Planning.
Public Participation: Interested parties may appear at the meeting. Any person wishing to speak at the public hearing should be present at 7:00 p.m. and should sign up on the sheets provided. The Chair will recognize all persons wishing to speak. Substantial changes to the proposed action may be made following the public hearing for each case.
Notice under the Americans with Disabilities Act
A person with a disability may receive an auxiliary aid or service to effectively participate in City government activities by contacting the ADA Coordinator, voice 919.560.4197, or ADA@DurhamNC.gov, as soon as possible but no later than 48 hours before the event or deadline date.
How to Find More Information about Board and Commission Agendas:
The City's Agenda Center web page has the latest agenda materials and minutes for all City-County Boards and Commissions. See also the Public Hearings and Notices page on the City Clerk's web site.
- The Durham City Council agenda materials are available according to the City Clerk's schedule.
- The Durham County Board of County Commissioners agenda materials are available on the County Commissioners' web page.
Text Amendments to the Unified Development Ordinance can be found on the Pending Text Amendment web page.
Agenda materials are available by the Friday before the meeting for the following (linked to their Agenda Center web page):