Engage Durham: Our Future Together
The City and County of Durham are drafting a long-range plan (called the Comprehensive Plan) that will shape how the City and County grows. This includes how we prioritize the spending of public dollars. But we cannot build a successful plan without first knowing the priorities and concerns of folks in Durham – including you!
We invite you to join or nominate someone to participate on the Outreach Team. This group of diverse individuals will help plan our community engagement to ensure that we hear from all communities. The City of Durham recently drafted an Equitable Community Engagement Blueprint
. This Blueprint prioritizes engagement with communities that have been historically underrepresented and excluded in decision making. This Outreach Team is one step in improving our engagement methods, using the Blueprint.
Some Outreach Team members will be asked to serve as Ambassadors because they are uniquely connected to under-served communities. Their relationships and knowledge of the community will help to ensure diverse representation. Ambassadors will be compensated for their work.
We have created a form to show your interest
in participating in the Outreach Team, or to nominate someone you know
who will help us engage all sectors of the Durham community. The online version of the form can be found here:https://durhamnc.gov/3786/The-Durham-Comprehensive-Plan
The form is available in both English and Spanish. Paper copies of the form are available at each of the operating Durham County Library branches. The deadline to receive nominations online or via email has been extended to Sunday, June 30, 2019.
Responses submitted in paper form must be received at the Development Services Center, Ground Floor, Durham City Hall, 101 City Hall Plaza, Durham, North Carolina, by 5:00 p.m. June 28th.
Planning Fee Changes Effective July 1, 2019
The City of Durham FY 2019-20 Budget was adopted on June 17, 2019, by the Durham City Council. Some Planning Department fee changes were included in the budget and will be effective on July 1, 2019. Many of the changes were to make the language of the fee ordinance clearer, but there were a few increases in fees. The full ordinance can be found at the following link: https://durhamnc.gov/DocumentCenter/View/26900/Planning-Department-Revised-Fee-Ordinance-Adopted-6-17-2019-PDF.
Upcoming Public Meetings
Historic Preservation Commission
Tuesday, July 9, 2019, 8:30 a.m.Committee Room, 2nd Floor,City Hall, 101 City Hall PlazaLink to the Durham Historic Preservation Commission Agenda
Public Hearings - Requests for Major Certificates of Appropriateness
- COA1900033 – 1706 Fayetteville Street – Addition and Modifications
- COA1900034 – 2218 West Club Boulevard – Addition and Modifications
- COA1900035 – 125 East Parrish Street – Addition
- COA1900042 – Downtown Durham Wayfinding Project - Signs
Public Review: The applications, staff reports, and maps may be reviewed at the City-County Planning Department, 101 City Hall Plaza, Ground Floor, between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. For further information contact Preservation@DurhamNC.gov, or call 919-560-4137. Please reference the project case number.
Public Participation: Any person may attend the public hearing and should be present at 8:30 a.m. The Chair will recognize all persons wishing to speak and will allocate time to individual speakers based upon the number of persons to be heard. Substantial changes to the proposed action may be made following the public hearing. The Chair reserves the right to limit repetitive or hearsay testimony.
Durham Planning Commission
Tuesday, July 9, 2019, 5:30 p.m.
Council Chambers, 1st Floor
City Hall,101 City Hall Plaza
Link to the Durham Planning Commission Agenda
The Durham City-County Planning Commission will hold public hearings on July 9, 2019 at 5:30 p.m
. in the City Council Chambers, 101 City Hall Plaza, 1st Floor, Durham, NC 27701, to consider the following:
Zoning Map Changes
- Chalk Level Road (Z1900007) is a request to change the zoning district at 1107 Chalk Level Road from Residential Suburban-10 (RS-10), Eno River Watershed Protection Overlay District (E-B) to Residential Suburban Multi-family with a Development Plan (RS-M(D)), Eno River Watershed Protection Overlay District (E-B).
- Magnolia Creek Phase IV (Z1900006) (Continued from June 11) 4700 Danube Lane and 1018 Old Evergreen Drive; a request to change the zoning district from Planned Development Residential 4.990 (PDR 4.990), Falls/Jordan District B Watershed Protection Overlay (F/J-B) to Planned Development Residential 7.899 (PDR 7.899), Falls/Jordan District B Watershed Protection Overlay (F/J-B).
The staff report is available in the City-County Planning Department, 101 City Hall Plaza, Ground Floor, between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Call 919-560-4137 and extension number for the following: For case Z1900007, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
x28235; For case Z1900006 contact email@example.com x28263. Public Participation
: Interested parties may appear at the meeting. Any person wishing to speak at the public hearing should be present at 5:30 p.m. and should sign up on the sheets to be provided. The Chair will recognize all persons wishing to speak. Substantial changes to the proposed action may be made following the public hearing for each case.
July Governing Board Meetings Note
- The Durham City Council does not hold regular sessions during July.
- The Durham County Board of County Commissioners will hold only one regular session this July on July 8th and the Planning Department has no items on the agenda.
- All other Boards and Commissions meet according to their published schedules.
Notice under the Americans with Disabilities Act
A person with a disability may receive an auxiliary aid or service to effectively participate in City government activities by contacting the ADA Coordinator, voice 919.560.4197, or ADA@DurhamNC.gov, as soon as possible but no later than 48 hours before the event or deadline date.
How to Find More Information about Board and Commission Agendas:
The City's Agenda Center web page has the latest agenda materials and minutes for all City-County Boards and Commissions. See also the Public Hearings and Notices page on the City Clerk's web site.
- The Durham City Council agenda materials are available according to the City Clerk's schedule.
- The Durham County Board of County Commissioners agenda materials are available on the County Commissioners' web page.
Text Amendments to the Unified Development Ordinance can be found on the Pending Text Amendment web page.
Agenda materials are available by the Friday before the meeting for the following (linked to their Agenda Center web page):