June 14, 2019
Notice of Upcoming Public Meetings and Planning Events
Please note: Agenda items are current at time of posting, but may not be available for review at this time. Items may be changed, updated, or added after the initial posting.
The City and County of Durham are drafting a long-range plan (called the Comprehensive Plan) that will shape how the City and County grows. This includes how we prioritize the spending of public dollars. But we cannot build a successful plan without first knowing the priorities and concerns of folks in Durham – including you! We invite you to join or nominate someone to participate on the Outreach Team. This group of diverse individuals will help plan our community engagement to ensure that we hear from all communities. The City of Durham recently drafted an Equitable Community Engagement Blueprint. This Blueprint prioritizes engagement with communities that have been historically underrepresented and excluded in decision making. This Outreach Team is one step in improving our engagement methods, using the Blueprint.
Some Outreach Team members will be asked to serve as Ambassadors because they are uniquely connected to underserved communities. Their relationships and knowledge of the community will help to ensure diverse representation. Ambassadors will be compensated for their work.
We have created a form to show your interest in participating in the Outreach Team, or to nominate someone you know who will help us engage all sectors of the Durham community. The online version of the form can be found here:
The form is available in both English and Spanish. Paper copies of the form will be available at each of the operating Durham County Library branches beginning on June 10th. Responses can be submitted through the online form, emailed, mailed, or dropped off in person through June 28th.
Notice under the Americans with Disabilities Act - A person with a disability may receive an auxiliary aid or service to effectively participate in city government activities by contacting the ADA Coordinator, voice 919.560.4197, or ADA@DurhamNC.gov, as soon as possible but no later than 48 hours before the event or deadline date.
Durham City Council
Monday, June 17, 2019, 7:00 p.m.
City Council Chambers 1st Floor
City Hall,101 City Hall Plaza
Link to the Durham City Council Agenda
The Durham City Council will hold a public hearing on June 17, 2019, at 7:00 p.m. in the City Council Chambers, 1st Floor, 101 City Hall Plaza.
- No items will be presented by Planning.
Public Participation: Interested parties may appear at the meeting. Any person wishing to speak at the public hearing should be present at 7:00 p.m. and sign up on the sheet provided. The mayor will recognize all persons wishing to speak. Substantial changes to a proposed action may be made following the public hearing for each case.
Durham Board of County Commissioners
Monday, June 24, 2019, 7:00 p.m.
Commissioners Meeting Room, 2nd Floor
200 E. Main Street
Link to Durham Board of County Commissioners
The Board of County Commissioners will hold a public hearing, June 24, 2019, at 7:00 p.m., 2nd floor, Commissioners' Meeting Room, 200 E. Main Street, to consider the following:
Zoning Map Changes
- Rougemont Commercial (Z1800037) (Continued from May 28, 2019) is a request to change the zoning district at 12907 and 12807 North Roxboro Road; 123 Bill Poole Road from Commercial Neighborhood (CN) and Residential Suburban-10 (RS-10) to Commercial Neighborhood with a text-only development plan (CN(D)).
Public Review: The staff reports are available in the City-County Planning Department, 101 City Hall Plaza, Ground Floor, between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Call 919-560-4137 and extension number for the following: For case Z1800037 contact Emily.Struthers@DurhamNC.gov x28263.
Public Participation: Interested parties may appear at the meeting. Any person wishing to speak at the public hearing should be present at 7:00 p.m. and should sign up on the sheets provided. The Chair will recognize all persons wishing to speak. Substantial changes to the proposed action may be made following the public hearing for each case.
Durham Board of Adjustment Tuesday, June 25, 2019, 8:30 a.m.
Committee Room, 2nd FloorCity Hall,101 City Hall PlazaLink to the Board of Adjustment Agenda
The Durham Board of Adjustment will hold a public hearing on June 25, 2019 at 8:30 a.m. in the Committee Room, 2nd Floor, City Hall, 101 City Hall Plaza, to hear the following requests:
- Case B1900002 - City: A minor special use permit to permit the development of a new project over 5,000 square feet within the Commercial Neighborhood (CN) zoning district without a development plan. The subject site is located at 3034 Fayetteville Street; and in the Urban Tier.
- Case B1900003 – City: A minor special use permit to allow fill in the floodway fringe, non-encroachment area fringe, Future Conditions Flood Hazard Areas, or Areas of Shallow Flooding. The subject site is located at 3034 Fayetteville Street; is zoned Commercial Neighborhood (CN); and in the Urban Tier.
- Case B1900004 – City: A variance request from the required 15-foot maximum street yard, with the longest façade of the building not parallel to or located within the maximum street yard, and the building occupying less than 60% of the total street frontage. The subject site is located at 3034 Fayetteville Street, is zoned Commercial Neighborhood (CN); and in the Urban Tier.
- Case B1900018 – City: A request for a variance from the required side yard setback requirements for an existing single family home converting to a duplex in the RU-5(2) residential zoning district. The subject site is located at 618 Troy Street, is in the Residential Urban – 5(2)(RU-5(2)); and in the Urban Tier.
- Case B1900020 – City: A variance request from the 50-foot riparian buffer and 10-foot no-build setback requirements to construct an accessory structure in front of the rear building line of the primary structure. The subject site is located at 5020 Butternut Road, is zoned PDR 3.620; Falls/Jordan Watershed Protection Overlay District – B (F/J-B); Major Transportation Corridor I-40 (MTC I-40); and in the Suburban Tier.
- Case B1900021 – City: A request for a fence height greater that 4-foot high in the street frontage yard of a single family home located in the Urban Tier. The subject site is located at 225 W. Woodridge Drive, is zoned Residential Suburban -10(RS-10); and in the Urban Tier.
The applications, staff reports and maps may be reviewed at the City-County Planning Department, 101 City Hall Plaza, Ground Floor, between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. For further information contact BOA@DurhamNC.gov
, or contact Eliza Monroe at 919-560-4137 ext. 28245. Public Participation:
Any person may attend the public hearing and should be present at 8:30 a.m. The Chair will recognize all persons wishing to speak and will allocate time to individual speakers based upon the number of persons to be heard. Substantial changes to the proposed action may be made following the public hearing. The Chair reserves the right to limit repetitive or hearsay testimony.
The Durham City Council does not hold regular sessions scheduled during July. The Durham County Board of County Commissioners will hold only one regular session in July on July 8, 2019.
How to Find More Information:
- The City's Agenda Center web page has the latest agenda materials and minutes for the all City-County Boards and Commissions.
- See also the Public Hearings and Notices page on the City Clerk's web site.
- The Durham City Council agenda materials are available according to the City Clerk's schedule.
- Text Amendments to the Unified Development Ordinance can be found on the Pending Text Amendment web page.
- Agenda materials are available by the Friday before the meeting for the following (linked to their Agenda Center web page):
- The Durham County Board of County Commissioners agenda materials are available on the County Commissioners' web page.
Subscribe to this Email