May 31, 2019
Notice of Upcoming Public Meetings and Planning Events
Please note: Agenda items are current at time of posting, but may not be available for review at this time. Items may be changed, updated, or added after the initial posting.
Participatory Budgeting Notice
Participatory Budgeting (PB) voting has begun and it’s a great opportunity for City of Durham residents to have a voice in the budget process. There are approximately 40 projects currently listed within the three Ward ballots including playground improvements, bus shelters, sidewalk improvements, STEM equipment for youth, technology for schools, and many more to help improve our communities in Durham.
PB Durham Voting Requirements-
* must be 13 years of age or older at the time of voting
* must be a City of Durham resident or student
Voting will take place for the entire month of May, but don’t wait until the end of the month to vote. You can vote now by visiting https://www.pbdurham.org/vote_pb_durham
The projects receiving the greatest number of votes in each ward will be implemented after July 1st.
Please don’t miss this great opportunity to make a real impact in your community.
Durham City CouncilMonday, June 3, 2019, 7:00 p.m.
Council Chambers, 1st Floor
City Hall,101 City Hall Plaza
Link to the Durham City Council Agendas
The Durham City Council will hold a public hearing on June 3, 2019
, at 7:00 p.m. in the City Council Chambers, 1st Floor, 101 City Hall Plaza, to hear the following requests:Annexation
- 5816 Barbee Chapel Road (BDG1800018) 5816 Barbee Chapel Road; A voluntary annexation petition to annex a parcel totaling 4.039 acres as an expansion of an existing satellite area.
- 1001 Olive Branch Road (BDG1800008) A voluntary annexation petition to annex two contiguous parcels totaling 216.141 acres generally located at 1001 Olive Branch Road.
Zoning Map Changes
- Elevate at the Park (A1800005) 3700/3706 NC 55 Highway: A request to change future land use designation from Office, Recreation Open Space to Medium-High Residential (No change to Recreation Open Space).
- Elevate at the Park (Z1800013) 3700/3706 NC 55 Highway: A request to change the zoning designation from Office and Institutional (OI), Residential Suburban-20 (RS-20) to Residential Suburban Multifamily with a Development Plan (RS-M(D)).
- 1001 Olive Branch Road (Z1800015) 1001 Olive Branch Road: A request to change the zoning designation from Residential Rural (RR), Falls/Jordan District-B Watershed Protection Overlay (F/J-B), County Jurisdiction to Planned Development Residential 2.686 (PRD 2.686), Falls/Jordan District-B Watershed Protection Overlay (F/J-B), City Jurisdiction.
- Critter Control 315 Southerland (Z1800025) 315 Southerland Street: A request to change the zoning designation from Residential Suburban-20 (RS-20) to Industrial Light with a text-only development plan (IL(D)).
- Kings Daughters Inn (Z1800024) (Continued from April 15, 2019) 204 North Buchanan Boulevard; a request to change the zoning districts from Residential Urban-Multifamily(RU-M) and Residential Urban-5 (RU-5) to Residential Urban-Multifamily (RU-M).
- SC1800001 Oregon Street Closing (Continued from March 18, 2019 and April 15, 2019): A request to permanently close 1,794.18 linear feet of Oregon Street.
The application, staff reports, and maps can be reviewed at the City-County Planning Department, 101 City Hall Plaza, Ground Floor, weekdays between 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., email or call 919-560-4137, contact Jamie.Sunyak@DurhamNC.gov
, ext. 28235 for cases: Z1800015, BDG1800018; Emily.Struthers@DurhamNC.gov
x28263 all other cases.Public Participation:
Interested parties may appear at the meeting. Any person wishing to speak at the public hearing should be present at 7:00 p.m. and sign up on the sheet provided. The mayor will recognize all persons wishing to speak. Substantial changes to the proposed action may be made following the public hearing for each case.
Historic Preservation CommissionTuesday, June 4, 2019, 8:30 a.m.Committee Room, 2nd Floor,City Hall, 101 City Hall Plaza Link to Durham Historic Preservation Commission AgendaPublic Hearings - Requests for Major Certificates of Appropriateness
Public Review: The applications, staff reports, and maps may be reviewed at the City-County Planning Department, 101 City Hall Plaza, Ground Floor, between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. For further information contact Preservation@DurhamNC.gov, or call 919-560-4137. Please reference the project case number.Public Participation:
- COA1900025 - 1509 Maryland Avenue - Request for New Construction and Site Work.
Any person may attend the public hearing and should be present at 8:30 a.m. The Chair will recognize all persons wishing to speak and will allocate time to individual speakers based upon the number of persons to be heard. Substantial changes to the proposed action may be made following the public hearing. The Chair reserves the right to limit repetitive or hearsay testimony.
Joint City-County Planning CommitteeWednesday, June 5, 2019, 9:30 a.m.Committee Room, 2nd Floor,
City Hall,101 City Hall PlazaLink to Joint City-County Planning Committee AgendaThe function of the Joint City-County Planning Committee is to expedite consideration by the two governing bodies of planning issues which affect both governments. The Committee advises the Durham City Council and Durham County Board of Commissioners and has no ultimate decision-making power. Items on the agenda are not public hearings.
- Housing Data for Land Use Cases (Information Only)
- Durham Comprehensive Plan: Community Engagement Update
Notice under the Americans with Disabilities Act - A person with a disability may receive an auxiliary aid or service to effectively participate in city government activities by contacting the ADA Coordinator, voice 919.560.4197, or ADA@DurhamNC.gov, as soon as possible but no later than 48 hours before the event or deadline date.
Durham Planning CommissionTuesday, June 11, 2019, 5:30 p.m.
Council Chambers, 1st Floor
City Hall,101 City Hall PlazaLink to the Durham Planning Commission Agenda
The Durham City-County Planning Commission will hold a public hearing on June 11, 2019
at 5:30 p.m. in the City Council Chambers, 1st Floor, 101 City Hall Plaza
, to consider the following:
- New Haven Townhouses (A1900002) 2600 Ellis Road; a request to: change the future land use designation from Industrial, and Recreation Open Space to Low-Medium Density Residential (No change to Recreation Open Space).
UDO Text Amendment
- Expanding Housing Choices (TC1800007) (Continued from May 14): Amendments modifying standards in Article 5, Use Regulations; Article 6, District Intensity Standards; Article 7, Design Standards, and other associated sections of the UDO regarding accessory dwelling units, residential infill, housing type allowances and associated dimensional and density requirements, flag lots, and other associated provisions and definitions.
Zoning Map Changes
- New Haven Townhouses (Z1900002) 2600 Ellis Road; a request to change the zoning from Residential Suburban-20 (RS-20) to Planned Development Residential 6.239 (PDR 6.239).
- Magnolia Creek Phase IV (Z1900006) 4700 Danube Lane and 1018 Old Evergreen Drive; a request to change the zoning from Planned Development Residential 4.990 (PDR 4.990), Falls/Jordan Watershed Protection District B Overlay (F/J-B) to Planned Development Residential 7.899 (PDR 7.899), Falls/Jordan District B Watershed Protection Overlay (F/J-B).
The staff reports are available in the City-County Planning Department, 101 City Hall Plaza, Ground Floor, between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Call 919-560-4137 and extension number for the following: For cases A1900002/Z1900002, contact Jamie.Sunyak@durhamnc.gov
x28235; For case Z1900006 contact Emily.Struthers@durhamnc.gov
x28263.Public Participation: The Durham Planning Commission will hold the public hearing on Tuesday, June 11, 2019. Meetings begin at 5:30 p.m. and are located in the City Council Chambers at 101 City Hall Plaza, 1st Floor. Interested parties may appear and speak at the public hearing. Substantial changes to the proposed action may be made following the public hearing.
How to Find More Information:
- The City's Agenda Center web page has the latest agenda materials and minutes for the all City-County Boards and Commissions.
- See also the Public Hearings and Notices page on the City Clerk's web site.
- The Durham City Council agenda materials are available according to the City Clerk's schedule.
- Text Amendments to the Unified Development Ordinance can be found on the Pending Text Amendment web page.
- Agenda materials are available by the Friday before the meeting for the following (linked to their Agenda Center web page):
- The Durham County Board of County Commissioners agenda materials are available on the County Commissioners' web page.
Subscribe to this Email