Upcoming City Hall Closure
The City-County Planning Department will be closed in observance of the following holiday:
- January 1, 2021 - New Years Day
City-County staff will resume regular business hours the following standard business day.
Applicant-Sponsored Neighborhood Meetings
Camden Avenue, Midland Terrace, and Interstate 85 Future Land Use Map Change - January 6, 2021
Coulter Jewell and Thames, PA is conducting a virtual neighborhood meeting on January 6, 2021, from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time to discuss a proposed Future Land Use Map Change to 16 parcels located at or around 1434, 1502, 1504, 1512, 1516, 1518, 1520, 1524, 1526, 1600, 1618, 1716, and 1732 Camden Avenue and 1601 and 1623 Midland Terrace. The applicant is proposing to change the subject properties from the Urban Tier to the Suburban Tier on the Future Land Use Map. The existing zoning is Industrial. The applicant is not proposing a rezoning for the property. How to Participate in the January 6, 2021, neighborhood meeting
Click on the link through your phone, laptop, or iPad: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZIkf-ihqz0rHdQtgFlTjMRaNV0_7nw9QXPV
Meeting ID: 839 2474 6756
To participate via phone
Meeting ID: 839 2474 6756
If you require any technical support before or during the meeting, please contact Martin Coulter at 919-682-0368 or email at MCoulter@cjtpa.com
. 611 E Geer St Rezoning - January 7, 2021
CARE Properties, LLC is conducting a virtual neighborhood meeting on January 7, 2021, from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time to discuss a proposed rezoning of 1 parcel located at 611 E Geer Street. The applicant is proposing to rezone the subject property from the Commercial General (CG) Zoning District to the Residential Urban - 5 (RU-5) Zoning District. The applicant is proposing the zoning change to allow the construction of three single-family residences. How to Participate in the January 7, 2021, neighborhood meeting
Click on the link through your phone, laptop, or iPad: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86044872873?pwd=VTVKRjhXUVdGRG1hOVorb0RUa0Q3UT09
Meeting ID:860 4487 2873
To participate via phone:
Meeting ID:860 4487 2873
Please text or call Rebecca at 252-226-4383 if you have any difficulty joining the meeting for assistance. New NCCU 24/7 Collaborative Research and Learning Center - January 11, 2021
Surface 678, PA, is conducting a virtual neighborhood meeting on January 11, 2021, from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time to discuss a proposed rezoning located at 413 E Lawson and 1710 Fayetteville St. The applicant is proposing to rezone the subject properties from Residential Urban-5 (RU-5) to University and College-2 (UC-2). In addition, the Future Land Use Map for the site is proposed to be amended from Medium Density Residential to Institutional.
Where: Join Zoom Meeting | https://zoom.us/j/94307225309
Meeting ID: 943 0722 5309
One tap mobile
+1-312-626-6799 US (Chicago); +1-929-205-6099 US (New York); +1-301-715-8592 US (Washington D.C); +1-346-248-7799 US (Houston)
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/ac9aSNN5tR
Technical Support Contact: Jeff Israel
Phone number: 919-419-1199 x 9185 (office)
For more information about the proposed building, please visit: https://www.nccu.edu/facilities-projects/247-collaborative-research-and-learning-center
Safer-at-Home Order in Effect - Planning and Development Services (DSC) Continue Most Operations Online
The Development Services Center (DSC) lobby has been closed to walk-in customers due to COVID-19, and customer service, development review, and inspections services have continued remotely. After further assessing the safety and demand for in-person services in light of alternative telephone, email, and web-based services available, the DSC lobby will remain closed until further notice.
If a service cannot be provided remotely, an in-person option may be arranged in advance with strict adherence to social distancing standards and use of a face covering. As more programs and services return, and businesses reopen, we remind everyone to adhere to Durham’s Safer-at-Home Order.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact us at:
Draft Community Objectives are here!
Next round of Engagement Ambassadors starting soon!
The ENGAGEDurham team is very excited to share draft Community Objectives for the Comprehensive Plan and begin recruitment for the next round of work with Engagement Ambassadors.
Scheduled Public Meetings
Durham City Council
Monday, January 4, 2021, at 7:00 p.m.
- No public hearing items will be presented by City-County Planning
Historic Preservation CommissionThe Durham Historic Preservation Commission will hold virtual public hearings on January 5, 2021, at 9:00 a.m. to consider the following:Certificates of Appropriateness
Substantial changes to the proposed actions may be made following the public hearing for each case. E-mail or call 919-560-4137, or e-mail Preservation@DurhamNC.gov.Public Participation: The January 5, 2021, Historic Preservation Commission meeting will be held online using the Zoom virtual meeting platform. You must register to speak at the hearing by 5:00 p.m. on December 29, 2020, at: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_ndOg2zeBRHikrrdrO3pNgQ. The meeting can also be accessed by calling 1-301-715-8592 (Webinar ID: 914 6554 2042). The meeting will also be live-streamed on YouTube at http://YouTube.com/cityofdurhamnc. Instructions to participate in the virtual meeting or to watch it live are available at: https://durhamnc.gov/4062/Participate-in-a-Virtual-Public-Hearing. The Chair will recognize all persons wishing to speak and will allocate time to individual speakers based upon the number of persons to be heard.
- 807 East Main Street, 800 Taylor Street (COA2000076) is a request for installation of two ground-mounted signs.
- 1300 Broad Street (COA2000080) is a request for demolition of a primary structure.
- 310 East Main Street (COA2000081) is a request for installation of a rooftop addition and restoration of rear windows.
- 709 Shepherd Street (COA2000090) is a request for demolition of two accessory structures.
Durham County Board of County CommissionersThe Board of County Commissioners will hold a virtual meeting on January 11, 2021, at 7:00 p.m.
- Landscape Manual for Durham Revisions: Revisions to the Landscape Manual for Durham to update the text to reflect current industry standards, to revise the plant charts for clarity and to reflect changes to the prohibited plant list, to revise the planting details, and to propose UDO amendments and new planting installation certifications.
For information about the Landscape Manual Revisions, contact Jessica Dockery, Planning Manager, at Jessica.Dockery@DurhamNC.gov
or call 919-560-4137, ext. 28210.
Residents wishing to comment on the public hearing must sign up by emailing the Durham County Clerk to the Board at firstname.lastname@example.org
no later than 2:00 p.m. on Monday, January 11,
2021. The call-in information for the meeting will be shared to those individuals after they have emailed the Clerk.
The virtual option aligns with social distancing requirements which ensures the safety of citizens who wish to participate as well as Board members and Durham County Government staff. Citizens who wish to view the BOCC meeting can watch it live on the County's YouTube channel
. Replays of the meeting are available on the Durham Television Network on Spectrum Channel 8, AT&T U-verse Channel 99, Google Fiber Channel 8 and Frontier Communications Channel 70. On-demand video may be watched once it is uploaded to the County's website here
Durham Planning Commission
Tuesday, January 12, 2021, at 5:30 p.m.
Virtual SessionThe Durham City-County Planning Commission will hold virtual public hearings on January 12, 2021, at 5:30 p.m. to hear the following: Zoning Map Changes
Substantial changes to the proposed actions may be made following the public hearing for each case. For information contact Landuse@DurhamNC.gov or call 919-560-4137. Public Participation: The January 12, 2021, Planning Commission meeting will be held online using the Zoom virtual meeting platform. Register to speak at the hearing at: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_v-QcDttGQomEGj5sjeBRGg (Webinar ID: 923 7609 3718) by 3:00 p.m. on the meeting date or by calling 1-301-715-8592 at least 15 minutes before the meeting start time; instructions to participate in the virtual meeting or to watch it live are available at: https://durhamnc.gov/4062/Participate-in-a-Virtual-Public-Hearing.
- Falls Village North (Z1900011) is a request to change the zoning located at 739 Baptist Road and 117 Santee Road from Rural Residential (RR) to Planned Development Residential 2.883 (PDR 2.883), Rural Residential with a development plan (RR(D)).
- 4523 Hope Valley Road (Z2000004) is a request to change the zoning located at 4523 Hope Valley Road from Residential Suburban-Multifamily with a development plan (RS-M(D)) to Residential Suburban-Multifamily with a development plan (RS-M(D)).
- Gillings Tract (Z2000005) (continued from December 8, 2020) is a request to change the zoning located at 4110 Page Road from Residential Rural (RR) to Planned Development Residential (PDR 4.447), staff recommendation to change the Future Land Use Map designation to Low-Medium Density Residential.
- Chandler Run (Z2000010) (continued from November 10, 2020) is a request to change the zoning generally located at Chandler Road and Clayton Road (Arborstone & Greenway Subdivisions) from Residential Suburban-8 (RS-8), Residential Suburban-10 (RS-10), Planned Development Residential 8.500 (PDR 8.500) to Planned Development Residential 3.118 (PDR 3.118).
- 920 Sherron Road (Z2000013) is a request to change the zoning located at 920 and 922 Sherron Road from Residential Suburban-20 (RS-20); Residential Rural (RR) to Planned Development Residential 7.171 (PDR 7.171).
How to Find More Information
Notice under the Language Access Plan
Persons requiring language assistance to effectively participate in this event may contact the City-County Planning Department at 919-560-4137 to request interpretation and/or translation services as soon as possible but no later than 48 hours before the event or deadline date.
Aviso bajo el Plan de Acceso al Idioma
Personas que requieran asistencia lingüística para participar efectivamente en este evento pueden comuníquense con el Departamento de Planificación de la Cuidad y el Condado al 919-560-4137. Para solicitar los servicios de interpretación y / o traducción tan pronto como sea posible pero no menos de 48 horas antes del evento o fecha límite.
Notice under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Persons with disabilities may receive an auxiliary aid or service to effectively participate in city government activities by contacting the ADA Coordinator, voice 919-560-4197, fax 560-4196, or ADA@DurhamNC.gov, as soon as possible but no later than 48 hours before the event or deadline date.
Aviso bajo la Ley sobre Estadounidenses con Discapacidades (ADA, siglas en Ingles)
Personas con discapacidades pueden recibir asistencia para participar efectivamente en actividades del gobierno de la ciudad al comuníquense con el Coordinador de ADA al 919-560-4197, fax 560-4196 o ADA@DurhamNC.gov, tan pronto como sea posible pero no menos de 48 horas antes del evento o fecha límite.
How to Find More Information about Board and Commission Agendas:
The City's Agenda Center web page has the latest agenda materials and minutes for all City-County Boards and Commissions. See also the Public Hearings and Notices page on the City Clerk's web site.
- The Durham City Council agenda materials are available according to the City Clerk's schedule.
- The Durham County Board of County Commissioners agenda materials are available on the County Commissioners' web page.
- Text Amendments to the Unified Development Ordinance can be found on the Pending Text Amendment web page.
- Agenda materials are available by the Friday before the meeting for the following (linked to their Agenda Center web page):