Special Planning Commission MeetingsPlanning Commission Virtual RetreatThe Durham Planning Commission will have a virtual retreat on November 18, 2020 from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. There will not be any public hearings at this meeting, it is a working retreat only. This meeting will be held online using the Zoom virtual meeting platform.Instructions to participate in the virtual meeting or to watch it live are available at: https://durhamnc.gov/4062/Participate-in-a-Virtual-Public-HearingTo join the virtual meeting, please register at: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_jtXguzr7ScG_DHnm2Wrjsg (Webinar ID: 966 4817 0726) or call 1-301-715-8592.
Durham Planning Commission Policy Committee Meeting – November 24, 2020
The Durham Planning Policy Committee is a committee that was formed to discuss UDO amendments and recommendations to the Unified Development Ordinance and other planning policies in Durham. The Committee consists of board members from the Durham Planning Commission and the City-County Planning Department staff members. The committee encourages public audiences to join and participate in these virtual meetings. The next committee meeting will be meeting on November 24, 2020, at 5:30 p.m.Instructions to participate in the virtual meeting or to watch it live are available at: https://durhamnc.gov/4062/Participate-in-a-Virtual-Public-Hearing
To join the virtual zoom meeting, please register at: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_fEfxSDBRQIW_NYgWMm6ZWg
(Webinar ID: 977 5385 0055) or call 1-301-715-8592.
Applicant-Sponsored Neighborhood Meetings
8310 Fayetteville Road Conservation Subdivision - November 16, 2020
TMTLA Associates is conducting a virtual neighborhood meeting on November 16, 2020, from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., Eastern Standard time, to discuss a proposed conservation subdivision located at 8310 Fayetteville Road. The property is zoned Residential Rural and is located within the City limits. The applicant is seeking no change to this zoning.
How to Participate in the November 16, 2020 Neighborhood Meeting
- To Participate by PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone, or Android Device:
- Go to the following website to register for the meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZIsdOmgpzgjGdDBK_FFlgNsxWECYxofiadU
- If you prefer to have this link emailed to you, please reach out to Pam at email@example.com or by calling 919-229-0636.
- Upon registration, you will receive a confirmation email with instructions on how to access the meeting.
- For attendance purposes, individuals participating by video will be unmuted upon joining the call and asked to identify themselves with their name and address.
- To Participate by Phone:
- Dial the following number: 929-205-6099
- Enter the following Meeting ID: 861 3089 3934
- For attendance purposes individuals participating by telephone will be unmuted upon joining the call and asked to identify themselves with their name and address. If you are participating by phone all graphics to be discussed during the meeting are included with this letter. If you have difficulty connecting or have technical difficulties during the meeting, you can reach out to Chris at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 919-229-0632.
Safer-at-Home Order in Effect - Planning and Development Services (DSC) Continue Most Operations Online
The Development Services Center (DSC) lobby has been closed to walk-in customers due to COVID-19, and customer service, development review, and inspections services have continued remotely. After further assessing the safety and demand for in-person services in light of alternative telephone, email, and web-based services available, the DSC lobby will remain closed until further notice.
If a service cannot be provided remotely, an in-person option may be arranged in advance with strict adherence to social distancing standards and use of a face covering. As more programs and services return, and businesses reopen, we remind everyone to adhere to Durham’s Safer-at-Home Order.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact us at:
Upcoming City Hall Closures
The City-County Planning department will be closed in observance of the following holidays:
- November 26-27, 2020 - Thanksgiving
- December 24-25, 2020 - Christmas
- January 1, 2021 - New Years Day
City-County staff will resume regular business hours the following business day of each of the listed dates.
Scheduled Public Meetings
Durham City Council
Monday, November 16, 2020, at 7:00 p.m.
The Durham City Council will hold virtual public hearings on November 16, 2020, at 7:00 p.m.
to hear the following:Annexations
- Doc Nichols Road (BDG1900025) located at 2005 Doc Nichols Road and 5607 Leesville Road, is a request for a contiguous annexation of one parcel and a portion of one other parcel totaling 17.905 acres.
- 1432 Ellis Road (BDG1800019) the exact address of the parcel to be annexed is 1431 Ellis Road and is a request for a contiguous voluntary annexation of annex one parcel totaling 17.005 acres.
Zoning Map Changes
- 1432 Ellis Road (A1800011) generally located at located at 1432 Ellis Road, is a request to change the future land use map designation from Low Density Residential, Open Space and Recreation to Low-Medium Density Residential, Open Space and Recreation.
- 1432 Ellis Road (Z1800035) generally located at 1432 Ellis Road, is a request to change the zoning of five parcels from Rural Residential (RR) and Residential Suburban-20 (RS-20), County Jurisdiction to Planned Development Residential 5.706 (PDR 5.706), City Jurisdiction.
- Cortez Drive Residential (Z1900038) generally located at Angier Avenue and Cortez Drive is a request to change the zoning from Residential Suburban-20 (RS-20), Falls/Jordan Watershed Protection Overlay District-B (F/J-B) to Planned Development Residential 5.322 (PDR 5.322), Falls/Jordan Watershed Protection Overlay District-B (F/J-B).
- Doc Nichols Road (Z1900054) located at 2005 Doc Nichols Road and 5607 Leesville Road, is a request to change the zoning from Residential Rural (RR), Falls/Jordan Lake Watershed Protection District-B (F/J-B), County Jurisdiction to Planned Development Residential 3.995 (PDR 3.995), Falls/Jordan Lake Watershed Protection District-B (F/J-B).
- 851 Slater Road (Z1900056) located at 851 and 902 Slater Road, is a request to change the zoning from Residential Rural (RR) and Commercial Neighborhood (CN), Major Transportation Corridor (MTC) to Industrial Light (IL(D) text only development plan, Major Transportation Corridor (MTC).
Substantial changes to the proposed actions may be made following the public hearing for each case. For information about the cases, contact LandUse@DurhamNC.gov
or at 919-560-4137. Public Participation:
This meeting will be held online using the Zoom virtual meeting platform. Register to speak at the hearing at: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_4Xf2e1HnQFeUXZ8zy3E62Q
(Webinar ID: 988 0961 2150), at least 30 minutes before the meeting on the meeting date or by calling 1-301-715-8592 at least 15 minutes before the meeting start time; instructions to participate in the virtual meeting or to watch it live are available at: https://durhamnc.gov/3012/Public-Hearings-and-Notices
Durham County Board of County CommissionersThe Board of County Commissioners will hold a virtual meeting, November 23, 2020, at 7:00 p.m. to consider the following:Text Amendment
Substantial changes to the proposed actions may be made following the public hearing for each case. For information contact Michael Stock at Michael.Stock@DurhamNC.gov or call 919-560-4137.Residents wishing to comment on the public hearing must sign up by emailing the Durham County Clerk to the Board at email@example.com no later than 2:00 p.m. on Monday, November 23, 2020. The call-in information for the meeting will be shared to those individuals after they have emailed the Clerk. For more information about the Board of Commissioners' meetings and agendas, visit https://www.dconc.gov/government/departments-a-e/board-of-commissioners.The virtual option aligns with social distancing requirements which ensures the safety of citizens who wish to participate as well as Board members and Durham County Government staff. Citizens who wish to view the BOCC meeting can watch it live on the County's YouTube channel. Replays of the meeting are available on the Durham Television Network on Spectrum Channel 8, AT&T U-verse Channel 99, Google Fiber Channel 8 and Frontier Communications Channel 70. On-demand video may be watched once it is uploaded to the County's website.
- TC1900004 - Various Amendments Related to Affordable Housing and the Falls/Jordan District-A Watershed Overlay: A privately-initiated request to amend provisions of the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) regarding the Affordable Housing Bonus, Planned Development Residential (PDR) zoning requirements, parking standards, the definition of “family,” and uses within the Falls/Jordan District A (F/J-A) watershed overlay.
- TC2000001 - Trees and Landscaping: Amendments to landscaping, street tree, and tree coverage requirements primarily in Article 8, Tree Coverage and Tree Protection; Article 10, Landscaping and Buffering;
and other applicable sections of the Unified Development Ordinance.
- TC2000002 - Omnibus 15: Amendments to various provisions of the Unified Development Ordinance for technical or clarifying changes, or other minor policy changes not technical in nature.
Historic Preservation CommissionThe Durham Historic Preservation Commission will hold virtual public hearings on December 1, 2020, at 9:00 a.m. to consider the following:Certificates of Appropriateness
Substantial changes to the proposed actions may be made following the public hearing for each case. E-mail or call 919-560-4137, or e-mail Preservation@DurhamNC.gov.Public Participation: The December 1, 2020, Historic Preservation Commission meeting will be held online using the Zoom virtual meeting platform. You must register to speak at the hearing at by 5:00 p.m. on November 24, 2020, at: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_IFREQoX8S2eMEpYAwzsIHg. The meeting can also be accessed by calling 1-301-715-8592 (Webinar ID:
- 701 Cobb Street (COA2000070) is a request for an addition to a noncontributing structure.
- 2119 West Club Boulevard (COA2000073) is a request for an addition, modifications and site work to an existing single family home.
- 2115 West Club Boulevard (COA2000075) is a request for an addition and modifications to convert an existing rear screen porch into conditioned space.
- 804 Cleveland Street (COA2000078) is a request for new construction of a single-family home.
- 806 Cleveland Street (COA2000082) is a request for new construction of a single-family home.
- 2301 Englewood Avenue (COA2000036) (continued from November 10, 2020) is a request for new construction of an accessory structure and site work.
914 6554 2042). The meeting will also be live-streamed on YouTube at http://YouTube.com/cityofdurhamnc. Instructions to participate in the virtual meeting or to watch it live are available at: https://durhamnc.gov/4062/Participate-in-a-Virtual-Public-Hearing. The Chair will recognize all persons wishing to speak and will allocate time to individual speakers based upon the number of persons to be heard.
Durham Board of Adjustment The Durham City-County Board of Adjustment will hold a virtual public hearing on December 8, 2020, at 8:30 a.m. to hear the following requests in quasi-judicial hearing:
Public Review: For further information, contact BOA@DurhamNC.gov, or contact Eliza Monroe at 919-560-4137 ext. 28245.Public Participation: The meeting will be held using the Zoom platform. To speak at the hearing, YOU MUST REGISTER BY 5:00 P.M. ON DECEMBER 1, 2020, by visiting https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_5Zv0426wQJ636g5DtIg2AQ . ALL DOCUMENTS FOR THE MEETING MUST ALSO BE SUBMITTED BY 5:00 P.M. ON DECEMBER 1, 2020. The meeting can also be accessed by calling 1-301-715-8592 (Webinar ID:
- B2000012 – City: A request for a minor special use permit to allow the extension of illumination for outside recreation activities outside of permitted hours. The subject site is located at 4865 and 4901 Page Road, is zoned Industrial Park (IP), and in the Suburban Tier.
993 2521 3757). Instructions to participate in the virtual meeting or to watch it live are available at: https://durhamnc.gov/4062/Participate-in-a-Virtual-Public-Hearing. The Chair will recognize all persons wishing to speak and will allocate time to individual speakers based upon the number of persons to be heard. All persons wishing to speak will be required to consent to the virtual format of the meeting and to swear or affirm their testimony. Substantial changes to the proposed action may be made following the public hearing.
Notice under the Language Access Plan
Persons requiring language assistance to effectively participate in this event may contact the City-County Planning Department at 919-560-4137 to request interpretation and/or translation services as soon as possible but no later than 48 hours before the event or deadline date.
Aviso bajo el Plan de Acceso al Idioma
Personas que requieran asistencia lingüística para participar efectivamente en este evento pueden comuníquense con el Departamento de Planificación de la Cuidad y el Condado al 919-560-4137. Para solicitar los servicios de interpretación y / o traducción tan pronto como sea posible pero no menos de 48 horas antes del evento o fecha límite.
Notice under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Persons with disabilities may receive an auxiliary aid or service to effectively participate in city government activities by contacting the ADA Coordinator, voice 919-560-4197, fax 560-4196, or ADA@DurhamNC.gov, as soon as possible but no later than 48 hours before the event or deadline date.
Aviso bajo la Ley sobre Estadounidenses con Discapacidades (ADA, siglas en Ingles)
Personas con discapacidades pueden recibir asistencia para participar efectivamente en actividades del gobierno de la ciudad al comuníquense con el Coordinador de ADA al 919-560-4197, fax 560-4196 o ADA@DurhamNC.gov, tan pronto como sea posible pero no menos de 48 horas antes del evento o fecha límite.
How to Find More Information about Board and Commission Agendas:
The City's Agenda Center web page has the latest agenda materials and minutes for all City-County Boards and Commissions. See also the Public Hearings and Notices page on the City Clerk's web site.
- The Durham City Council agenda materials are available according to the City Clerk's schedule.
- The Durham County Board of County Commissioners agenda materials are available on the County Commissioners' web page.
- Text Amendments to the Unified Development Ordinance can be found on the Pending Text Amendment web page.
- Agenda materials are available by the Friday before the meeting for the following (linked to their Agenda Center web page):