For Immediate Release: September 10, 2020
The Durham Police Department is alerting the community about a report of an unknown person who stopped a vehicle on Guess Road near Rose of Sharon Road around 10 p.m. on Monday, September 7.
The driver of the vehicle told officers the unknown person’s vehicle had emergency lights on the dashboard of the car, which appeared to be a brown Ford Focus with black rims. The unknown person asked the driver for his identification, but the driver refused and said he was calling 911 because he felt uneasy, according to the report. The unknown person then got in his car and drove away. Officials could find no record of any local enforcement officer making a traffic stop at that time at that location.
The driver described the person who stopped his vehicle as a white male in his late 30s with longish brown hair and a goatee. He was wearing glasses, blue jeans, a gray shirt and black shoes.
The DPD is providing the following safety tips if you are stopped by an unmarked vehicle with flashing lights.
- If you have doubts that you are being stopped by a law enforcement officer, turn on your hazard lights, and call 911 and confirm that there is an actual officer attempting to stop you.
- If you don’t have a cell phone, slow down, turn on your hazard lights and stop at the first well-lit, populated area.
- Ask to see the officer’s identification. All DPD officers have a badge and official identification.
- If there is a question in your mind that the person that has stopped you is not a law enforcement officer, ask for another officer to respond.
- If the person who stopped you is not a law enforcement officer, gather as much information as you can about the vehicle and the person’s description.