Two Durham Teens Charged with Committing Several Armed Carjackings
Durham police investigators have arrested two Durham teens – ages 16 and 17 – and charged them with committing several armed carjackings within one week in March. The two teens were served with juvenile petitions last week and have been placed in secure custody.
The teens were charged with committing the following robberies:
- March 22 in the 1300 block of South Roxboro Street – The victim was getting in his car around 7:45 p.m. when two men, one armed with a rifle, approached him and told him to get out of the vehicle. The suspects took the victim’s phone and fled in the victim’s vehicle.
- March 27 in the 4000 block of Fayetteville Street – The victim was getting in her vehicle around 12:30 a.m. when two men pointed guns at her and told her to get out of the vehicle. The suspects fled in the victim’s car.
- March 27 in 3100 block of Hillandale Road – Two men approached the victim in a parking lot around 6 a.m., pointed guns at him and demanded the keys to the victim’s vehicle. The victim told them he did not have the keys. The suspects took the victim’s phone and fled.
- March 27 in the 1400 block of Wyldewood Road – The victim was sitting in his car around 6:15 a.m. when two men held the victim at gunpoint and took his vehicle. The suspects also took the victim’s wallet and phone.
- March 29 in the 2000 block of Chapel Hill Road – The victim was getting into his car in the parking lot of a business around 1:30 a.m. when two males dressed all in black approached him. One man pulled a knife and the men tried to get in the victim’s car. The victim was able to push them away and fled.
- March 29 in the 1200 block of University Drive – The victim was getting into his vehicle after pumping gas when a man got in the vehicle and punched the victim in the face. A second man put a knife to the victim’s throat and the two men fled in the victim’s vehicle.
The 16-year-old male was also charged in connection with the following case:
· March 26 in the 2000 block of Chapel Hill Road – The victim walked out of a business around 11 p.m. and was confronted by a man with a gun. The man pointed the gun at the victim and fled in the victim’s vehicle.
The stolen vehicles have all been recovered.
The investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information is asked to call CrimeStoppers at (919) 683-1200. CrimeStoppers pays cash rewards for information leading to arrests in felony cases and callers never have to identify themselves.