January 18, 2020
Durham County Memorial Stadium
750 Stadium Dr.
Durham, NC 27704
E-Waste Recycling, Paper Shredding & Live Tree Drop-Off Event
Saturday, January 18, 2020
The City’s Solid Waste Management Department is hosting a free event to collect old electronics (e-waste), papers for shredding, live trees, and old clothes and textiles on Saturday, January 18 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Durham County Memorial Stadium in the home side parking lot, located at 750 Stadium Dr. Staff will be on hand to assist with unloading these items.
Nearly all electronic devices with a cord will be accepted including:
Durham residents who can’t attend this event can still safely and conveniently recycle their old electronics at no charge at the City’s Waste Disposal and Recycling Center.
- Computers, laptops, keyboards, mice, printers, monitors, speakers, copiers, scanners, circuit boards, hard drives, computer parts, etc.
- Televisions, stereo equipment, tape players, receivers, amplifiers, record players, etc.
- Kitchen electronics, such as microwaves, mixers, blenders, choppers, etc.
- Telephones, cell phones, and fax machines
- Hair dryers, curling irons, alarm clocks, and vacuum cleaners
- Power tools, cordless tools, etc.
- Electronic toys, such as keyboards and video game systems
- This event will NOT accept large appliances, refrigerators, air conditioners or any other appliances that contain Freon in non-working condition.
Confidential paper shredding will also be provided on site during this event. Shredding requirements include:
Live Tree Drop-Off
- Paper may contain paper clips and staples; however, hanging file folders will not be accepted.
- Only paper should be brought for shredding. CDs, DVDs, and other non-paper items will not be accepted.
- All paper should be loose and not in binders or other binding items made of non-paper.
- Residents may be present to observe their confidential document shredding if the amount to be shredded can fit into one 96-gallon roll cart (approximately 240 pounds of material or approximately eight small, banker boxes of material).
- Participants with larger quantities will have items placed in boxes to be shredded off-site at Shimar Recycling’s secure facility.
Requirements for live tree drop-off are as follows:
- Trees taller than six feet must be cut in half.
- All decorations including tinsel, lights, garland, ornaments, nails, stands, and hardware must be removed.
- Trees should not be placed in bags.
Items accepted on site by Green Zone should be dry and clean and can be left in less-than-perfect condition (worn, torn or stained): bedding (comforter, sheets, pillow cases, blankets); belts; boots; coats; curtains/draperies; dresses; flip flops; Halloween costumes; hats; jackets; Jeans; Jerseys (sports); napkins (cloth); pajamas; pants; pet beds and clothing; pillows; purses; scarves; shirts; shoes (single or in pairs); shorts; skirts; slippers; socks (single or in pairs); stuffed animals; suits; sweaters; sweatpants; sweatshirts; table linens; ties; towels; t-shirts; undergarments