November 26, 2020 - November 27, 2020
Most City of Durham Offices Closed for Thanksgiving Day
Thursday, November 26, 2020
The City of Durham will observe the Thanksgiving holiday on Thursday, November 26 and Friday, November 27, meaning many employees who are now teleworking due to COVID-19 will be unavailable on those dates. Police, fire, and rescue services for life-threatening or in-progress emergencies may be reached by calling 911. Non-emergency problems or concerns may be directed to (919) 560-4600. Residents are asked to take note of changes in City programs and services.
Trash, Recycling, and Yard Waste Services
The Solid Waste Management Department will be closed on November 26.
- Collection for Thursday curbside garbage and recycling customers will be delayed until November 27.
- Friday collection for curbside yard waste Thursday/Friday customers will be delayed to November 28.
- The Waste Disposal & Recycling Center, Yard Waste Facility, and the Household Hazardous Waste Center will also be closed on November 26 and November 28.
For more information about items accepted for curbside collections as well as how to sign up for collection day alerts and reminders for holiday service changes, download the free Durham Rollout app in the Apple and Google Play stores or visit the department’s webpage.
Parks and Recreation Programs and Facilities
- Durham Parks and Recreation’s (DPR) Administrative Office will be closed on November 26 and 27, and will reopen on November 30 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. for pre-scheduled appointments and phone calls.
- Recreation center programming and indoor lap swim will also not be held on November 26 or 27.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, recreation centers and indoor pools are only accessible to preregistered program participants, renters, and individuals with a scheduled appointment. For information about DPR programs, activities, and events impacted by COVID-19 or to schedule an appointment, call (919) 560-4355 during office hours or visit the department’s webpage.
Durham One Call Service Requests
- Durham One Call will also be closed on November 26 and 27.
- Residents may submit a service request using the free Durham One Call smartphone app available in the Apple and Google Play stores, submit an online service request, or leave a message at (919) 560-1200. Durham One Call will forward all requests for City services to the appropriate department on the next business day.
Water and Sewer Emergencies
Water main break and sewer overflow calls for service placed after-hours, weekends or on City-recognized holidays should be directed to the department’s after-hours emergency phone number at (919) 560-4344, which will dispatch on-call crews.
For Thanksgiving COVID-19 safety guidelines as well as the latest COVID-19 updates on City operations, programs, and services, visit the City’s COVID-19 webpage, and follow the City’s Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Nextdoor, and YouTube pages.