Curbside Yard Waste Collection is currently on a modified 'every other week' schedule:
Residents who are not collected on Friday must notify the City by calling 919-560-1200 before the end of business the following Monday, and a request will be generated for a follow-up.
Any calls made after Monday will be noted for collection on the next service week. Please be mindful that we are doing our best to provide services while keeping our employees safe during the pandemic, and we must follow a strict protocol in order to complete missed calls safely.
YARD WASTE PROGRAM OVERVIEW
Yard waste collection in an optional, fee-based program, and we are currently accepting new customers.
For a $7.50 monthly fee ($90 per year), residents are enrolled in the yard waste program from July 1 to June 30.
Renewals occur annually on July 1. Reminders will be delivered to customers who pay monthly, using several of the city's outreach methods such as Facebook and Twitter, Durham Television Network, and the City Manager's Report.
If you are an exempt customer and have multiple yard waste carts, only one cart will be serviced at the house. All other carts and/or bags must be brought curbside for service.
Well Water Customers
Well water customers have previously been charged for the full year. We are exploring a monthly billing option. In the meantime, since well water customers prepaid for July 1, 2019 - June 30, 2020, those customers will not have bills due until October 1 so those customers receive the same 3 months of credit that all other yard waste customers did.
PROPER WAY TO SET OUT YARD WASTE FOR COLLECTION
Place your brown yard waste cart and up to five brown biodegradable paper bags at your curb for service by 6 a.m. on your collection day.
- No personal containers or garbage carts will be collected.
- Cart is rolled to the curb with the bar facing towards the street.
- Cart lid should be closed.
- If lid cannot close, yard waste can extend only two feet out of container.
- Weight of container must not exceed 175 pounds.
- Neither dirt nor rocks are considered yard waste and will not be collected.
- Carts should be removed from the curb within 24 hours after pickup.
- Please measure tree branches to ensure they comply with the City of Durham's collection efforts. All bundles should be under 4 inches in diameter and less than 4 feet in length.
- Lay them parallel to each other on the ground, tying them for safety with twine or yard rope if able.
- Place the bundles at the curb on your standard garbage collection day so our driver can notate a bulky brush collection.
- Only brown biodegradable paper bags will be collected.
- Bags should be placed close together.
- A maximum of 10 biodegradable bags per week, weighing no more than 25 pounds, can be set out on collection day.