YARD WASTE PROGRAM OVERVIEW
Yard waste collection in an optional, fee-based program, and we are currently accepting new customers.
For a $7.50 monthly fee ($90 per year), residents are enrolled in the yard waste program from July 1 to June 30. This fee is designed to recover the cost of providing the service for the year. It is not a per-pickup cost and refunds are not given for missed collections or sporadic weeks where weather or other events do not allow the Department to complete collections.
Renewals occur annually on July 1. Reminders will be delivered to customers who pay monthly, using several of the city's outreach methods such as Facebook and Twitter, Durham Television Network, and the City Manager's Report.
If you are an exempt customer and have multiple yard waste carts, only one cart will be serviced at the house. All other carts and/or bags must be brought curbside for service.
Well Water Customers
Well water customers have previously been charged for the full year. We are exploring a monthly billing option. In the meantime, annually billing will continue and will occur in late June / early July.
PROPER WAY TO SET OUT YARD WASTE FOR COLLECTION
Place your brown yard waste cart and up to five brown biodegradable paper bags at your curb for service by 6 a.m. on your collection day.
- No personal containers or garbage carts will be collected.
- Cart is rolled to the curb with the bar facing towards the street.
- Cart lid should be closed.
- If lid cannot close, yard waste can extend only two feet out of container.
- Weight of container must not exceed 175 pounds.
- Neither dirt nor rocks are considered yard waste and will not be collected.
- Carts should be removed from the curb within 24 hours after pickup.
- Please measure tree branches to ensure they comply with the City of Durham's collection efforts. All bundles should be under 4 inches in diameter and less than 4 feet in length.
- Lay them parallel to each other on the ground, tying them for safety with twine or yard rope if able.
- Place the bundles at the curb on your standard garbage collection day so our driver can notate a bulky brush collection.
- Only brown biodegradable paper bags will be collected.
- Bags should be placed close together.
- A maximum of 10 biodegradable bags per week, weighing no more than 25 pounds, can be set out on collection day.