Stormwater Contacts

Stormwater BMPs

For information on inspection requirements or operation and maintenance of your Stormwater BMP (structural stormwater control device) on your property email Stormwater BMPS, or contact the Stormwater Development Review unit at 919-560-4326, ext. 30248.

Flooding, Drainage & Floodplain Mapping

  • Call 911 for assistance with any life threatening drainage/flooding emergencies or to report major toxic/hazardous chemical spills.
  • To report flooding of city streets call 919-560-4312 (after hours call 919-201-8800).
  • To report flooding of state roads and highways in Durham contact NCDOT at 919-477-2814.
  • For information regarding private drainage system concerns, email the drainage team or call Stormwater Services at 919-560-4326, ext. 30234.
  • For questions about floodplains, floodplain building permits, or the National Floodplain Insurance Program email the floodplain team or call 919-560-4326, ext. 30268.


  • Call 911 for assistance with any life threatening emergencies or to report major toxic/hazardous chemical spills.
  • Report sewer overflows or blockages to the Department of Water Management at 919-560-4344 or Durham One Call 919-560-1200.
  • Report erosion and sediment problems with construction sites to Durham City/County Stormwater and Erosion Control at 919-560-0735.
  • To report other water quality (pollution) concerns or illegal dumping into storm drains, ditches, and streams, use the Online Reporting Form, call the Stormwater Hotline at 919-560-SWIM (7946), or email Stormwater Quality.

City Stormwater Construction Projects

For information on stormwater construction projects within city rights of way, or on city-owned property, email the project team or call 919-560-4326, ext. 30271

Stormwater Utility Billing Questions

  • For questions about your stormwater bill, email the GIS Billing Data Group or leave a message at 919-560-1258.
Join us on Facebook!

For information on drinking water, water and wastewater treatment and water conservation, visit the Department of Water Management.