Fire Department Hiring Process
We accept applications annually during the month of March.
Thank you for your interest in Becoming a Durham Firefighter!
We are seeking applicants in each of the three categories below:
- Entry Level Firefighters (High School Diploma or equivalent-No fire experience necessary)
- Certified Firefighters (Note 2021 change in reading material for testing)
- Certified A-EMTs
please monitor This 2021 Timeline for changes. Note descriptive links for tasks
We will practice social distancing. Temperature checks will take place before all sessions.
|2/27||08:00 am - 10:00 am||Schedule Me for This Practice Agility Session (optional) DFD Training Grounds|
|2/27||10:30 am - 12:30 pm||Schedule Me for This Practice Agility Session (optional) DFD Training Grounds|
|2/27||01:30 pm - 03:30 pm||Schedule Me for This Practice Agility Session (optional) DFD Training Grounds|
|3/01 - 3/31||Applications accepted at DurhamNC.gov|
Visit our Hiring Page in March to view an Orientation Video and a Written Test Taking Tips Video
Review document requirements and begin to gather these documents
|3/01||08:00 am - 10:00 am||Schedule Me for This Practice Agility Session (optional) DFD Training Grounds|
|3/01||02:00 pm - 04:00 pm||Schedule Me for This Practice Agility Session (optional) DFD Training Grounds|
|3/03||08:00 am - 10:00 am||Schedule Me for This Practice Agility Session (optional) DFD Training Grounds|
|3/03||02:00 pm - 04:00 pm||Schedule Me for This Practice Agility Session (optional) DFD Training Grounds|
|3/03||06:00 pm - 08:00 pm||Schedule Me for This Practice Agility Session (optional) DFD Training Grounds|
|3/04||08:00 am - 10:00 am||Schedule Me for This Practice Agility Session (optional) DFD Training Grounds|
|3/04||02:00 pm - 04:00 pm||Schedule Me for This Practice Agility Session (optional) DFD Training Grounds|
|3/04||06:00 pm - 08:00 pm||Schedule Me for This Practice Agility Session (optional) DFD Training Grounds|
|3/31||Last day to apply at DurhamNC.gov|
Visit the DFD Hiring Page to view an Orientation Video and a Written Test Taking Tips Video
|4/01||After receiving email notification from City of Durham Human Resources, applicants log in at DurhamNC.gov to self-schedule testing. If you do not receive an email, you did not successfully apply for a position. It's a good idea to go ahead and complete your Release of Liability form and to copy the front of your driver's license to bring to testing.|
Scheduling for testing closes at midnight on 4/06.
|4/06||11:59 pm||Testing scheduler closes. Review important information about testing.|
|4/12 - 4/16||You must bring your completed Release of Liability form and a copy of the front of your driver's license to testing. These copies will not be returned. Testing will take place at 2008 E. Club Blvd. for applicants who self-scheduled. Important Testing Information for applicants who have self-scheduled.|
|4/22||Top applicants who are selected to interview will receive an email from City of Durham Human Resources. Applicants who do not receive an email have not been chosen to interview.|
Steps Below Are Only For Applicants Who Are Chosen To Interview
|4/22||After receiving email notification from City of Durham Human Resources, Applicants log in at DurhamNC.gov to self-schedule interviews. Scheduling closes at midnight on 4/25|
|4/25||11:59 pm||Interview scheduling closes|
|4/27||Applicants who scheduled interviews will receive a link or a virtual invitation with helpful information regarding the Durham Fire Department Interview Process.|
|5/3 - 5/6||Interviews are conducted|
|5/10 - 5/25||Applicants being considered for hire will be contacted via email regarding completion of Background Authorization. Reference checks performed by DFD. Note: Reference checks and possibly background checks will be done for slightly more than the number of open positions to create a registry in the event of unexpected openings.|
|5/27 - 6/07||Applicant selection finalized. Applicants notified.|
|6/14 - 6/15||Physicals and fittings for applicants chosen for hire|
|6/24||Final offers extended via email|
|7/19||8:30 am||Employee start date|
Tips for Success
- Prep Sessions: Our sessions will take place rain or shine. We highly recommend that you attend at least one practice session for physical agility testing, if possible. These sessions are optional, but due to space constraints, you must schedule this in advance and YOU MUST ARRIVE ON TIME for any session that we have. Once our "Written Test Taking Tips" video is posted, please view it. We cannot emphasize enough how important your written test scores will be in this hiring process. While our agility test is Pass or Fail, the points you score in the written test will likely determine whether or not you are invited to interview. You must sign a waiver to participate in the practice physical agility test and the actual physical agility test on your test date.
- Location: Due to COVID-19 precautions, we will practice social distancing! You will receive instructions when you arrive at our facility located at 2008 East Club Blvd. in Durham.
- Attire: On your testing date and for our practice sessions, we suggest that you wear exercise clothing; some applicants find knee pads helpful. * In order to mitigate the spread of COVID-19, all applicants are required to bring and wear work-type gloves to our agility practice and agility testing sessions. These gloves will be used to grip. You must also have a mask in your possession.
- Preparation: You must be willing to study diligently to graduate our academy. We want you to be prepared. Our largest call volume by far is for EMS calls. Because of this, DFD sworn personnel must be willing to be vaccinated for EMS requirements. These requirements may change at any time.
- Test Date: Please plan to spend the entire day with us on your test date, as you will take both tests (written and agility) on that day. On your self-scheduled test date, the only form that you should bring is a COPY of the front of your valid driver’s license (not your actual driver’s license). This copy will not be returned. If you do not bring a PAPER copy of the front of your driver’s license, we will not allow you to test. To take a practice test similar to the test you will take on your selected test date, visit http://www.fpsi.com/fire-candidate-orientation-guides/ and click on and select "CEB Candidate Orientation Guide." Note that the links in our timeline entitled "Written Test Taking Tips" also have excellent FREE links that may assist you in preparing for our tests. Your written test score is EXTREMELY important in this process.
- Documents needed: For information on documents you must provide if selected for an interview, please visit document requirements.
Got questions? Email DFDRecruiting@DurhamNC.gov