Become a Durham Firefighter
We want you on our team, so first and foremost, complete a Firefighter Interest Form so that you receive an email when we begin our NEXT hiring process. We accept firefighter applications annually, in March. Please review "
" so that you know what to expect when you apply. We hope to see you in Durham!
- Must be a permanent U.S. resident
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent
- No DWI convictions in the last four years
- No felony convictions - Note: speeding tickets and misdemeanors may not be disqualifiers
- Valid driver’s license (does not have to be N.C.)
- Must be able to speak, write and test in English
|Rank||Complete Salary Range|
|Fire Recruit (Entry)||$34,388 - $58,800|
|Certified Firefighter or Certified A-EMT||$36,098 - $58,800|
|Fire Driver / Fire Inspector II||$44,309 - $68,738|
|Fire Captain / Assistant Fire Marshal||$55,025 - $89,630|
|Battalion Chief / Deputy Fire Marshal||$65,221 - $101,179|
|Assistant Chief / Fire Marshal||$72,938 - $118,808|
|*Note: Salaries do not include incentives|
Benefits and Compensation
- City of Durham benefits begin on the first day of the month after hire. We urge you to consider our benefits in salary comparisons with other departments.
- Starting Salary is $34,388 for Entry Level Fire Recruits and $36,098 for Certified Firefighters or Certified A-EMTs. Personnel are paid be-weekly. Starting salaries are non-negotiable.
- We offer 5% annual increases for sworn personnel with satisfactory performance.
- Education Incentive is a 2.5% increase for an associate’s degree and 5% for a bachelor’s degree. For entry level firefighters and A-EMTs who attend an academy, these incentives are awarded after graduation from the academy. For certified firefighters, these incentives are awarded at hire.
- 401K consists of 5% employer contribution / Optional 457 with 5% matching contribution.
- Bilingual Incentive - $1,000 Annual bonus paid to those fluent in Spanish or sign language (contingent on passing a fluency exam and awarded after academy graduation).
- Excellent dental and health insurance with specialty insurance options.
- Recruits are paid throughout the Fire Academy lasting approximately 32 weeks for Entry Level Firefighters. (Number of weeks for Certified Firefighters and Certified A-EMTs will vary.) Academy tuition and books are fully funded by the City of Durham Fire Department.
- Additional CITY OF DURHAM EMPLOYEE BENEFITS
Our firefighters work an average of ten 24-hour shifts per month. Shifts run from 7 a.m. until 7 a.m. the following day. Firefighters are assigned to either A, B, or C Shift. See the DFD Shift Schedule (PDF).