Become a Durham Firefighter
We accept Firefighter applications annually, typically in March or April. If you are interested in a Firefighter position, please complete a NEW Firefighter Interest Card so that you receive email notification when our next hiring process opens. Find out how to prepare for the next Hiring Process here. We hope to see you in Durham!
|TENTATIVE 2022 Hiring Process Dates||Event|
|April 1-30||Applications Accepted|
|Late April||Practice Sessions|
|Early July||Offers Extended|
|Mid-Late August||Employment Begins|
Compensation & Benefits
- City of Durham benefits begin on the first day of the month after hire. We urge you to consider our career salary ranges and benefits when comparing salaries with other departments.
- Starting Salary: $35,592 for entry level fire recruits or $37,361 for certified firefighters and for certified AEMTs who would like to become firefighters. Personnel are paid biweekly. Starting salaries are non-negotiable.
- We offer annual increases for sworn personnel with satisfactory performance.
- Education incentive: 2.5% increase for an Associate's Degree or 5% increase for a Bachelor's Degree (after graduation for entry level fire recruits)
- 401 K - 5% Employer Contribution / Optional 457 with 5% Matching Contribution
- Bilingual incentive: $1,000 annual bonus paid to those fluent in Spanish or sign language (contingent on passing a fluency exam and awarded AFTER academy graduation)
- Exceptional dental and health insurance with specialty insurance options
- Recruits are paid throughout the Fire Academy. Tuition and books are fully funded by the Durham Fire Department.
- Additional City of Durham Employee Benefits
||Career Salary Range|
|Salaries below do not include education or other incentives|
|Fire Recruit (Entry)
||$35,592 - $60,857
|Certified Firefighter or Certified A-EMT||$37,361 - $60,857|
|Fire Driver / Fire Inspector II
||$45,860 - $71,144
|Fire Captain / Assistant Fire Marshal
||$56,951 - $92,767
|Battalion Chief / Deputy Fire Marshal
||$67,504 - $104,721
|Division Chief||$84,681 - $131,368|
|Assistant Fire Chief / Fire Marshal
||$93,150 - $151,732
We accept applications in each of the three categories below:
- Entry Level Firefighters (High School Diploma or equivalent-No fire experience necessary)
- Certified Firefighters (Note 2021 change in reading material for testing)
- Certified AEMTs
Want to know how to prepare for our next hiring process? Watch this page for future information on what you should do NOW in order to become successful in our 2022 process.
Got questions? Email DFDRecruiting@DurhamNC.gov.
Our firefighters work an average of ten 24-hour shifts per month on A, C, or C Shift. Shifts run from 7 a.m. until 7 a.m. the following day. They work every other day for 10 days. After that 10 day cycle is complete, each firefighter is off for 6 days straight. See our 2021 Shift Calendar.