Durham Cultural Advisory Board
The Durham Cultural Advisory Board serves as an advisory body to the City of Durham’s City Council and City Manager, and the Durham County's Board of County Commissioners and County Manager. The Board consists of fifteen members; thirteen members are appointed by the City Council, and two members are appointed by the Board of County Commissioners. The board's functions include:
- Partnering with the City's General Services Department’s Arts, Culture and Sustainable Communities Division and Durham County Engineering to advise the City and County regarding the implementation of the arts and cultural policy and to advocate for the arts in Durham.
- Promoting economic and workforce development through art and culture, including the recruitment and retention of cultural non-profit organizations and for-profit cultural businesses, as well as, developing cooperative projects with the Arts, Culture and Sustainable Communities Division, Durham County Engineering, and other departments and agencies to engage cultural components that advance Durham’s goals.
- Advocate for cultural development.
- Advise the City and County on funding for local arts and cultural organizations and facilities and advocate for private funding and for federal, state and county funding for Durham cultural organizations, programs and facilities.
- Advise on the implementation of any public art program the City or County might establish and advise the City and County on matters relating to public art.
- Advocate for public and private funding for local cultural organizations and facilities.
- Michael A. Betts, II
- Katy A. Clune
- E’Vonne Coleman, Durham County DCAB member
- Eldrin Deas
- Saira Estrada
- Marcus Hawley, Vice-Chair
- Zena Howard
- Tom Jaynes
- Joseph Jordan
- Council Member Pierce Freelon, City Council Liaison
- Angela Lee, Chair
- Raafe Purnsley
- Laura Ritchie
- Mitchell E. Sava
- Elias Torre
- Ava Navarro
- Mason Pickett
Meetings of the board are advertised and open to the public. The Durham Cultural Advisory Board will host the monthly meeting via Zoom until further notice. Members of the public will be muted in the Zoom meeting. Public comments may be submitted via the Zoom chatroom during the meeting, via email prior to the meeting to DCAB@durhamnc.gov, or via voicemail prior to the meeting to (919) 560-4197 x 21245. Members of the public can access the meeting by requesting the meeting passcode prior to the meeting date and calling the phone numbers provided below.
For information on how to join upcoming meetings, please contact DCAB@durhamnc.gov.
2022 Meeting Schedule
January 19, 2022
July 20, 2022
|February 16, 2022
(2:00 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. & 4:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.)
|August 17, 2022 (2:30 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.)|
|March 16, 2022||September 21, 2022|
|April 20, 2022||October 19, 2022|
|May 18, 2022||November 16, 2022|
|June 15, 2022||December 14, 2022 (2nd Wednesday of December)|
Durham Cultural Advisory Board
Special Session: Goal Setting
Wednesday, February 16, 2022
2:00 PM - 3:30 PM, EST
4:00 PM - 5:30 PM, EST
For the meeting link and passcode, please contact email@example.com or call 919-560-4197 ex. 21245 prior to the day of the meeting.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
For the Durham Cultural Advisory Board's Annual Report for 2019, please click here.
For the Durham Cultural Advisory Board's Annual Report for 2020, please click here.
Member & Student Member Application Process
Members shall be residents within the County of Durham and actively contribute to the cultural and economic sectors. DCAB has three student members position, who must live, work or study in the County of Durham. Durham City Council has approved a stipend program for eligible Board, Committee, Commission and Task Force members. For more information, visit: https://durhamnc.gov/4637/Stipend-Program-for-Board-Committee-Comm.
City Council Appointments
Durham County Commission Appointments
For Durham County Commission DCAB application process, visit https://www.dconc.gov/county-departments/departments-a-e/board-of-commissioners/boards-and-commissions.
Student Members - NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS
The student member application process is currently open. The appointed student will fill a vacancy, with a term ending on December 31, 2022. For more information on the term limits and roles of a student member on the Durham Cultural Advisory Board, please review the document here: Student Member Job Description.
Deadline EXTENDED: Monday, January 31, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. EST.
Submission Process: Please submit the application form and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Estudiante miembro de la Junta Asesora Cultural de Durham Formulario de Aplicación.
Por favor, envíe el formulario de solicitud y su currículum a email@example.com antes de la fecha límite:
Lunes, 31 de enero de 2022 a las 11:59 p.m. EST
For information about the board and the application process, please contact the Cultural & Public Art Program staff here:
Cultural & Public Arts Program Assistant
Phone: 919-560-4197, ext. 21238
Cultural & Public Arts Program Manager
Phone: 919-560-4197, ext. 21245.