Durham Cultural Advisory Board
The Durham Cultural Advisory Board is accepting applications for member vacancies. Visit https://durhamnc.gov/238/Boards-Committees-Commissions to apply today! The deadline to apply is Thursday, March 4, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. EST.
The Durham Cultural Advisory Board serves as an advisory body to the City of Durham’s City Council and City Manager, and the Board of County Commissioners and County Manager. The Board consists of 15 members; thirteen members are appointed by the City Council, and two members are appointed by the Board of County Commissioners. Its functions include:
- Partnering with the City's General Services Department’s Art, Culture and Sustainable Communities Division and Durham County Engineering to advise the City and County regarding the implementation of the arts and cultural policy and to advocate for the arts in Durham.
- Promoting economic and workforce development through art and culture, including the recruitment and retention of cultural non-profit organizations and for-profit cultural businesses, as well as, developing cooperative projects with the Art, Culture and Sustainable Communities Division, Durham County Engineering, and other departments and agencies to engage cultural components that advance Durham’s goals.
- Advocate for cultural development.
- Advise the City and County on funding for local arts and cultural organizations and facilities and advocate for private funding and for federal, state and county funding for Durham cultural organizations, programs and facilities.
- Advise on the implementation of any public art program the City or County might establish and advise the City and County on matters relating to public art.
- Advocate for public and private funding for local cultural organizations and facilities.
- Katy A. Clune, Vice-Chair
- E’Vonne Coleman, Durham County DCAB member
- Saira Estrada
- Valerie Gillispie
- Marcus Hawley
- JaMeeka Holloway-Burrell, Durham County DCAB member
- Zena Howard
- Tom Jaynes
- Joseph Jordan
- Council Member Pierce Freelon, City Council Liaison
- Angela Lee, Chair
- Katie Seiz, ex-officio
- Cynthia Penn-Halal
- Lavesh Pritmani
- Mitchell E. Sava
- Daisy Calixtro
- Ava Navarro
- Mason Pickett
Meetings of the board are advertised and open to the public. Members serve without compensation and shall be residents within the County of Durham and actively contribute to the cultural and economic sectors. For more information about the board and the application process, email Rebecca Brown at Rebecca.Brown@durhamnc.gov.
2021 Meeting Schedule
|January 20, 2021||July 21, 2021|
|February 17, 2021||August 18, 2021|
|March 17, 2021||September 15, 2021|
|April 21, 2021||October 20, 2021|
|May 19, 2021||November 17, 2021|
|June 16, 2021||December 15, 2021|
The Durham Cultural Advisory Board will host the monthly meeting via Zoom until further notice. Members of the public will be muted in the Zoom meeting. Public comments may be submitted via the Zoom chatroom during the meeting, via email prior to the meeting to DCAB@durhamnc.gov, or via voicemail prior to the meeting to (919) 560-4197 x 21245. Members of the public can access the meeting by requesting the meeting passcode prior to the meeting date and calling the phone numbers provided below or creating a Zoom account online.
For information on how to join upcoming meetings, please contact DCAB@durhamnc.gov.
Durham Cultural Advisory Board
Wednesday, March 17, 2021
3:00 PM - 4:30 PM, EST
For the meeting link and passcode, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 919-560-4197 ex. 21245 prior to the day of the meeting.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
For the Durham Cultural Advisory Board's Annual Report for 2019, please click here.
For the Durham Cultural Advisory Board's Annual Report for 2020, please click here.
Member & Student Member Application Process
The Durham Cultural Advisory Board is accepting applications for a member vacancy. Visit https://durhamnc.gov/238/Boards-Committees-Commissions to apply today! The deadline to apply is Thursday, March 4, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. EST.
There is currently one (1) vacancy on the Durham Cultural Advisory Board (DCAB) with the terms expiring on June 30, 2022. If recommended by DCAB and appointed by City Council, members have the option to renew their membership for two (2) additional three-year terms. Due to the COVID-19 virus, City Hall is currently closed to the public. Virtual meeting information will be provided for DCAB meetings. Members serve without compensation and must live within the County of Durham.
The Durham Cultural Advisory Board has three student positions. For more information on the roles of a student member on the
Durham Cultural Advisory Board, please see the document below.
For information about the board and the application process, please contact the Cultural & Public Art Program staff here:
Cultural & Public Arts Program Assistant
Phone: 919-560-4197, ext. 21238
Cultural & Public Arts Program Manager
Phone: 919-560-4197, ext. 21245.