Durham Cultural Advisory Board
Photo by Estlin Haiss
NOTICE: The City of Durham is accepting member applications and student member applications for the Durham Cultural Advisory Board. See below for details.
The Durham Cultural Advisory Board serves as an advisory body to the City of Durham’s City Council and City Manager, and the Board of County Commissioners and County Manager. The Board consists of 15 members; thirteen members are appointed by the City Council, and two members are appointed by the Board of County Commissioners. Its functions include:
- Partnering with the City's General Services Department’s Art, Culture and Sustainable Communities Division and Durham County Engineering to advise the City and County regarding the implementation of the arts and cultural policy and to advocate for the arts in Durham.
- Promoting economic and workforce development through art and culture, including the recruitment and retention of cultural non-profit organizations and for-profit cultural businesses, as well as, developing cooperative projects with the Art, Culture and Sustainable Communities Division, Durham County Engineering, and other departments and agencies to engage cultural components that advance Durham’s goals.
- Advocate for cultural development.
- Advise the City and County on funding for local arts and cultural organizations and facilities and advocate for private funding and for federal, state and county funding for Durham cultural organizations, programs and facilities.
- Advise on the implementation of any public art program the City or County might establish and advise the City and County on matters relating to public art.
- Advocate for public and private funding for local cultural organizations and facilities.
- Katy A. Clune
- Margaret DeMott
- Zena Howard
- Valerie Gillispie
- Marcus Hawley
- Tom Jaynes, Chair
- Jillian Johnson, Mayor Pro-Tempore, City Council Liaison
- Angela Lee, Vice-Chair
- Katie Seiz
- Cynthia Penn-Halal
- Lavesh Pritmani
- Mitchell E. Sava
- Katie Spencer Wright
- Meg Stein
- Rachel Wexler
Meetings of the board are advertised and open to the public. Members serve without compensation and shall be residents within the County of Durham and actively contribute to the cultural and economic sectors. For more information about the board and the application process, email Rebecca Brown at Rebecca.Brown@durhamnc.gov.
The Durham Cultural Advisory Board hosted their monthly meeting via Zoom on Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 3:00 p.m. For information on how to join upcoming meetings, please contact DCAB@durhamnc.gov. Members of the public will be muted in the Zoom meeting. Public comments may be submitted via the Zoom chatroom during the meeting, via email prior to the meeting to DCAB@durhamnc.gov, or via voicemail prior to the meeting to (919) 560-4197 x 21245.
- 3:00 PM
- 3rd Wednesday of the month
- General Services Department, 2011 Fay Street, Durham, NC 27704
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
Durham Cultural Advisory Board Member Applications
The deadline to apply has been extended to Friday, June 12th by 11:59 p.m. EST. There will be three City Council-appointed member vacancies beginning in July 2020. Please disregard the application’s default statement that “There are no vacancies,” as the message intends to convey that “Currently, there are no vacancies until July 2020.”
Durham Cultural Advisory Board Student Member Applications
The Durham Cultural Advisory Board will have three student positions available on July 1, 2020. Completed applications and resumes should be sent as email attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, June 1, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. EST.