Durham Cultural Advisory Board
The Durham Cultural Advisory Board serves as an advisory body to the City of Durham’s City Council and City Manager, and the Board of County Commissioners and County Manager. The Board consists of 15 members; thirteen members are appointed by the City Council, and two members are appointed by the Board of County Commissioners. Its functions include:
- Partnering with the City's General Services Department’s Art, Culture and Sustainable Communities Division and Durham County Engineering to advise the City and County regarding the implementation of the arts and cultural policy and to advocate for the arts in Durham.
- Promoting economic and workforce development through art and culture, including the recruitment and retention of cultural non-profit organizations and for-profit cultural businesses, as well as, developing cooperative projects with the Art, Culture and Sustainable Communities Division, Durham County Engineering, and other departments and agencies to engage cultural components that advance Durham’s goals.
- Advocate for cultural development.
- Advise the City and County on funding for local arts and cultural organizations and facilities and advocate for private funding and for federal, state and county funding for Durham cultural organizations, programs and facilities.
- Advise on the implementation of any public art program the City or County might establish and advise the City and County on matters relating to public art.
- Advocate for public and private funding for local cultural organizations and facilities.
- Katy A. Clune
- E’Vonne Coleman, Durham County DCAB member
- Eldrin Deas
- Saira Estrada
- Marcus Hawley, Vice-Chair
- Zena Howard
- Tom Jaynes
- Joseph Jordan
- Council Member Pierce Freelon, City Council Liaison
- Angela Lee, Chair
- Mitchell E. Sava
- Daisy Calixtro
- Ava Navarro
- Mason Pickett
Meetings of the board are advertised and open to the public. Members serve without compensation and shall be residents within the County of Durham and actively contribute to the cultural and economic sectors. For more information about the board and the application process, email Rebecca Brown at Rebecca.Brown@durhamnc.gov.
2021 Meeting Schedule
|January 20, 2021||July 21, 2021|
|February 17, 2021||August 18, 2021|
|March 17, 2021||September 15, 2021|
|April 21, 2021||October 20, 2021|
|May 19, 2021||November 17, 2021|
|June 16, 2021||December 15, 2021|
The Durham Cultural Advisory Board will host the monthly meeting via Zoom until further notice. Members of the public will be muted in the Zoom meeting. Public comments may be submitted via the Zoom chatroom during the meeting, via email prior to the meeting to DCAB@durhamnc.gov, or via voicemail prior to the meeting to (919) 560-4197 x 21245. Members of the public can access the meeting by requesting the meeting passcode prior to the meeting date and calling the phone numbers provided below or creating a Zoom account online.
For information on how to join upcoming meetings, please contact DCAB@durhamnc.gov.
Durham Cultural Advisory Board
Wednesday, September 15, 2021
3:00 PM - 4:30 PM, EST
For the meeting link and passcode, please contact email@example.com or call 919-560-4197 ex. 21245 prior to the day of the meeting.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
For the Durham Cultural Advisory Board's Annual Report for 2019, please click here.
For the Durham Cultural Advisory Board's Annual Report for 2020, please click here.
Member & Student Member Application Process
The Durham Cultural Advisory Board is accepting applications for new members.
City Council Appointments
If recommended by DCAB and appointed by City Council, members have the option to renew their membership for one (1) additional three-year term. Due to the COVID-19 virus, City Hall is currently closed to the public. Virtual meeting information will be provided for DCAB meetings. Members serve without compensation and must live within the County of Durham.
Durham County Commission
For Durham County Commission DCAB application process, visit https://www.dconc.gov/county-departments/departments-a-e/board-of-commissioners/boards-and-commissions.The application process is currently closed.
For information about the board and the application process, please contact the Cultural & Public Art Program staff here:
Cultural & Public Arts Program Assistant
Phone: 919-560-4197, ext. 21238
Cultural & Public Arts Program Manager
Phone: 919-560-4197, ext. 21245.