Durham Cultural Advisory Board
NOTICE: The City of Durham is accepting student member applications for the Durham Cultural Advisory Board. See below for details.
The Durham Cultural Advisory Board serves as an advisory body to the City of Durham’s City Council and City Manager, and the Board of County Commissioners and County Manager. The Board consists of 15 members; thirteen members are appointed by the City Council, and two members are appointed by the Board of County Commissioners. Its functions include:
- Partnering with the City's General Services Department’s Art, Culture and Sustainable Communities Division and Durham County Engineering to advise the City and County regarding the implementation of the arts and cultural policy and to advocate for the arts in Durham.
- Promoting economic and workforce development through art and culture, including the recruitment and retention of cultural non-profit organizations and for-profit cultural businesses, as well as, developing cooperative projects with the Art, Culture and Sustainable Communities Division, Durham County Engineering, and other departments and agencies to engage cultural components that advance Durham’s goals.
- Advocate for cultural development.
- Advise the City and County on funding for local arts and cultural organizations and facilities and advocate for private funding and for federal, state and county funding for Durham cultural organizations, programs and facilities.
- Advise on the implementation of any public art program the City or County might establish and advise the City and County on matters relating to public art.
- Advocate for public and private funding for local cultural organizations and facilities.
- Katy A. Clune
- E’Vonne Coleman, Durham County DCAB member
- Margaret DeMott
- Zena Howard
- Valerie Gillispie
- Marcus Hawley
- JaMeeka Holloway-Burrell, Durham County DCAB member
- Tom Jaynes, Chair
- Jillian Johnson, Mayor Pro-Tempore, City Council Liaison
- Angela Lee, Vice-Chair
- Katie Seiz, ex-officio
- Cynthia Penn-Halal
- Lavesh Pritmani
- Mitchell E. Sava
- Katie Spencer Wright
- Meg Stein
- Rachel Wexler
Meetings of the board are advertised and open to the public. Members serve without compensation and shall be residents within the County of Durham and actively contribute to the cultural and economic sectors. For more information about the board and the application process, email Rebecca Brown at Rebecca.Brown@durhamnc.gov.
Wednesday, July 15, 2020
3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. EST
Virtual meeting through Zoom
For information on how to join upcoming meetings, please contact DCAB@durhamnc.gov.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 998 5225 8046
One tap mobile
+19292056099,,99852258046#,,,,0#,,982878# US (New York)
+13017158592,,99852258046#,,,,0#,,982878# US (Germantown)
Dial by your location
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
Meeting ID: 998 5225 8046
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/abzqvi8yV
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
For the Durham Cultural Advisory Board's Annual Report for 2019, please click here.
Durham Cultural Advisory Board Student Member Applications
Apply for Student Membership (English)
Apply for Student Membership (Spanish)
The Durham Cultural Advisory Board will have three student positions available on July 1, 2020. Completed applications and resumes should be sent as email attachments to email@example.com by Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. EST.
For information about the board and the application process, please contact the Cultural & Public Art Program staff here:
Cultural & Public Arts Program Assistant
Phone: 919-560-4197, ext. 21238
Cultural & Public Arts Program Manager
Phone: 919-560-4197, ext. 21245.