Sale of Surplus Property
The City's Purchasing Division has the responsibility for the disposition of City surplus personal property and salvage/scrap property that is no longer required by City departments.
Surplus materials are offered to the public through competitive sealed bids, electronic auctions, public auctions and market established posted price sales. In addition, City surplus property may also be used for trade-ins.
SALE OF CITY SURPLUS
- Surplus property offered through public sale must be paid for as directed by the City designated auctioneer. The conduct of auction participants must be in accord with posted rules of the auction. The auctioneer shall have the authority to remove from the City Auction Yard, any individual, or groups of individuals not conforming to posted auction rules or causing a public disturbance detrimental to the conduct of the auction.
- Any purchased surplus property must be removed by the buyer within the time stipulated by the auctioneer. Items will not be transferred to the buyer until the City or its agent has received full payment.
- Sale of City surplus personal property will provide for pre-bid inspection, items are usually sold as is, where is, without warranty or guarantee of any kin and the person/firm buying the property is usually responsible for its removal and in a timely manner.
- Sale of City surplus - real property is handled by the City's Real Estate Division of the General Services Department.
- The Durham Police Department no longer holds property auctions. Released unclaimed or seized property that has a judge’s order typically is sold through Property Room.
- Electronic Auctions held through GOV DEALS.
Award of Sale
- Award of sale is normally made to the bidder offering the highest revenue return to the City for the surplus property and/or salvage (scrap) material; provided the amount bid represents a realistic market value.
- The City or its agent reserves the right to reject bids considered being substantially below the used market value. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>