Pending Text Amendments and Public Participation
There are 3 stages when you can have input into the text amendment adoption process. They are:
- Review and Comment Period - Public review period opens with no public hearings scheduled; special public information sessions, if any, will be noted below.
- Planning Commission Review - A public hearing is held as noted below. After the hearing the Planning Commission makes a recommendation to the governing boards.
- City Council and Board of County Commissioners Review - Each governing body holds separate public hearings and then take final action to approve, disapprove, or modify the text amendment.
The following are pending amendments to the text of the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) at various stages of the approval process. Please contact the appropriate staff person identified with the amendment for any questions or to make comments regarding the proposed amendment.
Amendments Under Review
The following text amendments are under review and are scheduled for review by the Joint City-County Planning Committee (JCCPC). No public hearing is scheduled at this time.
- No amendments are currently under review.
Amendments Scheduled for Planning Commission Public Hearing
(After a public hearing, the Durham Planning Commission will make a recommendation to City Council and Board of County Commissioners)
- TC1900004- Amendments Related to Affordable Housing and the F/J-A Watershed: A privately-initiated request to amend provisions of the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) regarding the Affordable Housing Bonus, Planned Development Residential (PDR) zoning requirements, open space and tree coverage requirements, parking standards, the definition of “family,” and uses within the Falls/Jordan District A (F/J-A) watershed overlay. (Contact: Michael Stock, 919-560-4137 ext. 28227)
Public Hearing Date: February 11, 2020. Item was continued to the April 14th meeting.
- TC1900005 - Affordable Housing Dwelling Unit Definition: An amendment to revise the definition of “affordable housing dwelling unit” in Sec. 17.3, Defined Terms.(Contact: Michael Stock, 919-560-4137 ext. 28227)
Public Hearing Date: November 12, 2019. Recommended Approval: 9-4
- TC1900006- Omnibus changes 14: Amendments to various provisions of the Unified Development Ordinance as needed due to new state legislation; and for technical or clarifying changes, or other minor policy changes not technical in nature. (Contact: Michael Stock, 919-560-4137 ext. 28227)
Public Hearing Date: March 10, 2020. Addendum Memo (PDF).
Amendments Scheduled for City Council & Board of County Commissioners Public Hearings
- TC1700002- Sign Revisions: Revisions to, and re-organization of, the current signage regulations within Article 11, Sign Standards, and other associated sections, primarily to conform to the United States Supreme Court ruling in Reed v. Town of Gilbert, along with any other updates necessary to conform to other applicable state or federal law.
(Contact: Michael Stock, 919-560-4137 ext. 28227)
Public Hearing Date: To be determined. Item has been referred back to the administration.
- TC1800010 - NPO Revisions: – Amendments to Article 2, Review Authority; and Article 4, Zoning Districts, regarding revisions to the Neighborhood Protection Overlay (NPO) process. (Contact: Michael Stock, 919-560-4137 ext. 28227)
City Council Public Hearing: March 16, 2020
Board of Commissioners Public Hearing: March 23, 2020