Starting Service for Property and Business Owners
To start water service at a property you’re buying or already own, you can file a request online or contact Durham One Call at 919-560-1200.
Starting Service for Renters and Leasers
You may also request new service online or by contacting Durham One Call at 919-560-1200.
Things to Know Before Starting Service
- If requesting service online, contact us at least three days prior to connection; online requests take 3-5 days to process.
- You can request service by contacting Customer Billing Services online or through Durham One Call at 919-560-1200.
- If calling to check the progress of an online request, please be ready with these identifications: Date of Birth (DOB), Social Security Number (SSN), and Online Request Number.
- Whether or not you'll stay a Durham Water customer, please update your account information with your forwarding address in case we need to contact you.
- All customers opening a water/sewer account are charged a service initiation fee of $50 for the administrative and service costs of setting up the account. This charge shall appear on the first bill sent to the customer.
- The City charges deposits for initial connection of water and sewer services. Visit our Deposit & Disconnection page for more information on the cost so you know what to expect.
- All applicable deposits must be paid prior to water being placed in your name or applied to the first billing statement.
- These rules apply to all types of accounts (property owners, businesses, renters and leasers).
- You can opt for e-billing and alerts through the City’s online customer portal.
- Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for information about online billing.