Start Water Service
Whether you are new to Durham or changing locations, starting your water/sewer service is a simple process if you follow these steps.
STEP 1: REVIEW REQUIREMENTS AND FEES
Timeframe to Start Service
- To allow time to process your request and start service, contact us at least 3 days prior to your desired connection date.
- Online requests take 3-5 business days to process.
Fees & Deposits
- Service Initiation Fee: A $50 service initiation fee will appear on the first bill to cover administrative and service costs.
- Deposit: The City also requires a deposit for initial connection of water and sewer services.
- Visit our Deposit & Disconnection page for more information on the cost of the deposit.
- Past Due Balances must be paid prior to starting services at a new location.
- If you are unsure if you owe a balance, you can contact our office at 919-560-1200 and provide your previous service location so that we may review your records.
STEP 2: GATHER INFO AND DOCUMENTS TO SUBMIT
If you are a property owner, you will need:
If you are a renter or lessee, you will need:
STEP 3: SUBMIT YOUR REQUEST
- Submit your request online using the form at the bottom of this page.
- Attach one document through the "attach-a-photo" feature on the form.
- After you submit your request, you will be able to attach additional documents using the comment section of the form.
STEP 4: Write down your confirmation number
- Write down your confirmation number in a convenient location, as this is how staff will be able to further assist you.
STEP 5: WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT
- Monitor your email. If additional information is needed, you will receive an email requesting the information.
- Your request cannot be completed until we have all of the appropriate documentation and information.
STEP 6: THINGS TO DO ONCE YOUR SERVICE IS ESTABLISHED
- Once your request is completed, you will receive an email with your full 12-digit account number
- After receiving your first bill, you will be eligible to utilize our online customer portal to make payments, view your bills, sign up for e-billing, and even text-to-pay options.
- Make sure to update and maintain current contact information
To check the progress of an online request, call 919-560-1200. Please be ready with the following information:
- Date of Birth (DOB)
- Social Security Number (SSN)
- Online Request Number