COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Updates for City Employees
The City of Durham is taking proactive steps to protect the workplace in the event of an infectious disease outbreak. It is the City’s goal during any such time period to strive to operate effectively and ensure that all essential services are continuously provided and that employees are safe within the workplace.
The City of Durham is committed to providing authoritative information about the nature and spread of infectious diseases, including symptoms and signs to watch for, as well as required steps to be taken in the event of an illness or outbreak.
Note that the following temporary policies may be modified or extended as necessary:
It is important for City of Durham employees to read the following policies and work with your supervisor to develop a work plan based on your department needs, the nature of your job, and your personal circumstances.
- Temporary Employee Wellness (PDF) - UPDATED 05.21.20
- Cleaning of City workspaces
- Guidelines for social distancing at work and telecommuting (working from home)
- Guidelines for travel and social gatherings outside of work (also see current CDC guidelines)
- Staying home when ill and protocols for clearance to return to work
- Temporary Business Travel (PDF) - UPDATED 06.17.20
- Guidelines for work-related travel, meetings, and events
- FFCRA Emergency Sick FMLA Leave (PDF) - NEW 04.01.20
- The definition of first responder contained in this policy only applies to this policy
June 22, 2020
June 15, 2020
June 8, 2020
June 1, 2020
May 29, 2020
May 18, 2020
May 11, 2020
May 4, 2020
April 30, 2020
April 27, 2020
April 20, 2020
April 16, 2020
April 13, 2020
April 6, 2020
April 1, 2020
March 26, 2020
March 20, 2020
The Human Resources Department is your main contact if you have any questions or concerns:
- Email: Please email HRConnect@durhamnc.gov. Effective Monday, May 18, the HR Connect team will be responding to emails 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. daily Monday through Friday.
- Phone: Effective Monday, June 22, HR Connect phones are open for calls 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. daily Monday through Friday.
- In-Person: The HR Connect lobby is closed to the public and employees effective Monday, March 23 until further notice.
PAPA (Public Affairs Priority Alerts)
PAPA (Public Affairs Priority Alerts) is the City’s emergency notification system used to provide important information and updates to employees, including those related to COVID-19 and its impact on City employees. You can expect to receive PAPA alerts via email, phone, and/or text depending on your personal settings.
To learn more about PAPA view the PAPA How-to Guide (PDF), including how to update your contact information on page 7.