- Departments G-Z
- Office of Public Affairs
- City of Durham COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Updates & Resources
- COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Updates for City Employees
COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Updates for City Employees
The City of Durham is taking proactive steps to protect the workplace in the event of an infectious disease outbreak. It is the City’s goal during any such time period to strive to operate effectively and ensure that all essential services are continuously provided and that employees are safe within the workplace.
The City of Durham is committed to providing authoritative information about the nature and spread of infectious diseases, including symptoms and signs to watch for, as well as required steps to be taken in the event of an illness or outbreak.
The following policies go into effect Monday, March 30 and remain in effect until at least Sunday, May 31, and may be modified or extended as necessary:
It is important for City of Durham employees to read the following policies and work with your supervisor to develop a work plan based on your department needs, the nature of your job, and your personal circumstances.
- Temporary Employee Wellness (PDF) - UPDATED 03.30.20
- Cleaning of City workspaces
- Guidelines for social distancing at work and telecommuting (working from home)
- Guidelines for travel and social gatherings outside of work (also see current CDC guidelines)
- Staying home when ill and protocols for clearance to return to work
- Temporary Personal Travel (PDF) - UPDATED 03.30.20
- Guidelines for personal travel outside of North Carolina
- Guidelines for symptomatic employees after returning from travel
- Guidelines for asymptomatic employees after returning from travel
- Temporary Leave and School Closures (PDF) - UPDATED 03.30.20
- Use of leave during the COVID-19 state of emergency
- Emergency leave referenced in this policy can only be used for a qualifying school/day care closure
- Guidelines related to school and daycare closures
- Temporary Business Travel (PDF) - UPDATED 03.30.20
- Guidelines for work-related travel, meetings, and events
- Temporary Premium Pay (PDF) - NEW 03.30.20
The Human Resources Department is your main contact if you have any questions or concerns:
- Email: Please email HRConnect@durhamnc.gov. Note that the HR Connect team will be responding to emails 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. daily Monday through Friday.
- Phone: HR Connect phones are currently open for calls on an abbreviated schedule (11 a.m. until 1 p.m. daily Monday through Friday). As capabilities in HR Connect and around the City increase, phone hours will be increased and email hours will be decreased accordingly.
- In-Person: The HR Connect lobby is closed to the public and employees effective Monday, March 23 until further notice.
PAPA (Public Affairs Priority Alerts)
PAPA (Public Affairs Priority Alerts) is the City’s emergency notification system used to provide important information and updates to employees, including those related to COVID-19 and its impact on City employees. You can expect to receive PAPA alerts via email, phone, and/or text depending on your personal settings.
To learn more about PAPA view the PAPA How-to Guide (PDF), including how to update your contact information on page 7.