City of Durham COVID-19 Updates & Resources
As Durham, the state of North Carolina, and our entire country face the unknowns of COVID-19, the City’s top priority is to maintain essential services for our community while protecting the health and safety of our residents and employees.
- Durham is under Safer at Home Phase 3.0 until further notice.
- The City Hall lobby is open for limited hours and services; see details below.
- Find additional City service and facility updates below.
- View the City’s latest news related to COVID-19.
As you plan your holiday celebrations, please follow safety guidelines:
Mayor Schewel's 7-Month Update
CITY RESTORATION UPDATES
As the City begins the process of gradually and carefully reopening, when interacting with City staff or visiting City facilities, the public must follow the social distancing and sanitation guidelines as defined in the Durham Safer-at-Home Order. This includes wearing a face covering and maintaining a six-foot distance between yourself and others.
The following updates for City services, facilities, and programs are subject to change as the COVID-19 situation continues to evolve.
|Trash/Recycling Curbside Pickup||Operating as normal | View Details|
|Bulky Item Curbside Pickup||Place request through Durham One Call | View Details|
|Yard Waste Curbside Pickup||Modified biweekly service | View Details|
|Water Billing & Water Services|
|Planning & Inspection Services (DSC)||Service changes in place | View Details|
|Durham One Call||Assistance available via phone or online request Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. | View Details|
|GoDurham Transportation Services||Some route/schedule changes in place | View Details|
|Emergency Services - Fire, Police, 911|
|City Hall and Other City Facilities|
|Development Services Center (DSC)||The DSC lobby at City Hall is closed to walk-in customers until further notice | View Details|
|Durham Parks & Recreation Facilities (DPR)|
|Park Durham Customer Service Center||Open for limited hours by appointment only | View Details|
|Waste Disposal and Recycling Center and Household Hazardous Waste Center||Open to the public as of May 18 with new protocols in place | View Details|
City Meetings & Events
|City Council Meetings & Work Sessions||Meetings held virtually until further notice | View Calendar|
|Boards, Committees, and Commissions||All meetings are being held virtually or suspended through August 31 | View Calendar|
|Durham Parks & Recreation Events (DPR)|
City Hall Lobby Limited Reopening
Beginning Tuesday, July 21, the first floor lobby of City Hall will be open to the public for in-person, cash payments for water bills. Only the lobby of City Hall will be open; all other areas of the facility remain closed to the public. City Hall will also operate on a limited schedule and only be open to the public every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
If possible, customers are strongly encouraged to continue to pay their water bills using the following methods:
- By contacting Durham One Call at (919) 560-1200
- By U.S. Mail to P.O. Box 30041, Durham, N.C. 27702-3041
- By using one-of-two secure drop boxes located at City Hall (one drop box is located along the Mangum St. side of City Hall and a new drop box has been placed at the main entrance of City Hall on City Hall Plaza).
New Safety Protocols for Doing Business at City Hall
Enhanced Cleaning Protocols
With the limited reopening of the City Hall lobby, additional steps are being taken to protect the public and employees from the spread of COVID-19.
- Staff are using enhanced cleaning protocols with additional attention to all shared spaces and publicly-accessible areas of City Hall. Routine cleaning and sanitizing will occur on an ongoing basis throughout the day using CDC-approved, COVID-19 cleaning products with extra focus on high-touch areas such as doorknobs, water fountains, handrails, and dispensers and faucets in all restrooms.
- Plexiglas shields at the customer service areas in the City Hall lobby will provide an extra safety barrier between employees and the public during customer service interactions.
- Hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes are also available for employee and public use as needed.
Required Safety Measures
Alongside the enhanced cleaning and safety measures mentioned above, the public as well as all City employees are required to wear a face covering upon entering the building and to remain six feet apart.
- If a member of the public does not have a face covering, a disposable one will be provided and must be worn in order to enter City Hall lobby.
- Completion of a short wellness screening, provided in English and Spanish, will also be required before entering the City Hall lobby.
Doing Business with the City Remotely
While the City continues to provide essential services to Durham residents, we ask that residents observe social distancing guidelines and avoid in-person contact as much as possible. Below are some of the ways you can still engage and do business with the City:
- Pay your water bill online, by phone, or by mail at no additional charge Learn more
- Submit a Durham One Call service request online or by phone Learn more
- View your trash/recycle schedule and get updates through the Durham Rollout App, available from Google Play/App Store
- Sign up for City news and alerts
- Follow @CityofDurhamNC on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube
COVID-19 Official Resources
To stay abreast of the COVID-19 situation in Durham and how to help reduce the potential spread of this virus, residents are encouraged to visit official public health resources including the Durham County Department of Public Health, state, and federal agencies.