Durham Neighborhood College 2019
Welcome to the 2019 Durham Neighborhood College. This website is a resource where you can find the schedule, course materials, and other information related to the program.
Schedule & Overview
- Classes will be held on seven Thursday nights starting September 12 through October 24 from 6-8:30 p.m. (Class dates: Sept. 12, 19, 26 and Oct. 3, 10, 17, 24).
- Invitation to attend a County Commissioners Meeting on Monday, Sept. 23 and a City Council meeting on Monday, Oct. 7. More info to be provided.
- A light meal is served prior to the start of each class.
- View the detailed schedule (PDF). Find course materials below.
The first six sessions will be held at (Sept. 12, 19, 26 and Oct. 3, 10, 17):
Durham County Administration II Building
201 E. Main St., Room 461, Durham, NC 27701
The final session will be held at (Oct. 24):
City Hall Lobby and Council Chambers
101 City Hall Plaza, Durham, NC 27701
2019 Course Overview
Durham Neighborhood College is designed to give you an introduction to many aspects of City and County government through a combination of presentations, activities, and discussions.
Once course materials are available, you will be able to access them below. In order to conserve resources, we no longer provide printed copies.
Session 1: Welcome & Overview (Thursday, Sept. 12)
- Session 1 Intro Slides
- Participant introductions
- Greetings from Mayor Steve Schewel and Chair WendyJacobs
- County Overview Presentation by General Manager Claudia Hager
- City Overview Presentation by Deputy City Manager Wanda Page
- Q&A Session video recording
Session 2: Environment & Sustainability (Thursday, Sept. 19)
- Public Art Tour & Overview
- City of Durham Solid Waste Management presentation
- Durham County Sustainability presentation
Session 3: Health & Well-Being (Thursday, Sept. 26)
- Durham County Department of Public Health presentation
- City of Durham Parks & Recreation presentation
- Durham County Department of Social Services presentation
- Health & Well-Being Q&A Panel
- Durham County Library Tech Mobile Tour and Durham history presentation
Session 4: Public Safety (Thursday, Oct. 3)
- City of Durham Police presentation
- Durham City/County Emergency Management presentation
- City of Durham Emergency Communications Center (911) presentation
- Public Safety Q&A Panel
- Durham County Emergency Medical Services Training Center tour
Session 5: Planning & Development (Thursday, Oct. 10)
- City-County Planning presentation
- Durham County Engineering & Environmental Services presentation
- Planning & Development Q&A Panel
- Engage Durham activity
Session 6: Civic Engagement (Thursday, Oct. 17)
- Durham County Board of Elections presentation
- City of Durham Neighborhood Improvement Services presentation
- Durham County Veteran Services presentation
- Civic Engagement Q&A Panel
- Neighborhood College reflection session
Session 7: Engagement Fair & Graduation (Thursday, Oct. 24)
- Engagement Fair - learn about opportunities to engage with the City and County
- Graduation and dinner
- Graduates are permitted to invite up to two guest to the final session