Make a Public Records Request

The City of Durham maintains public records and makes them available for review in accordance with North Carolina State Law. Some records may contain information protected by the Public Records law and therefore, may not be available for review. The City has established a Public Records Policy to assist city officials, city employees, and the public in understanding and complying with the public records law.

Please see the list of frequently asked questions on the right of the page to answer any questions you might have about public records. Below are instructions to request specific kinds of records.

How to Make a Public Records Request

  • To assist in our effort to process your request, be specific and thorough when providing the description of the record requested.
  • If more information is needed, you may be asked to clarify your request. 
  • Please submit your request only once. Submitting duplicate requests, or submitting a request to more than one person, may delay the response.  

Please review the following types of requests before making your request:


Development Services Center:

Records related to development approvals and building inspections can be viewed online through the Land Development Office. If a record cannot be found please send an email request to the Development Services Center at Include the case number if known. Otherwise include property address, type of record, and the year it was submitted or approved.

For records related to zoning code violations, send an email request to the Development Services Center at


Minimum Housing Code Violations:

Violations of Minimum Housing Code, Non-Residential Code, and Overgrowth or Debris Ordinances:

Contact Neighborhood Improvement Services at (919) 560-1647.


Police Department Requests:

Public Records Requests for the Durham Police Department may be requested by email at

The Durham Police Department maintains incident reports at the Police Department Headquarters at 602 E. Main St.  Reports are available on weekdays between 7:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. Residents may also call the Records Unit at (919) 560-4423 to request a copy of a report faxed.


Fire Inspection and Incident Reports:

Contact the Fire Department at or (919) 560-4233 (city) or (county) for information regarding fire inspection reports.

To request a fire incident report, please submit your request at


Personnel Records that are subject to release as identified in General Statute 168A-168:

May be requested directly from the Human Resources Department by email at or by phone at (919) 560-4214.


City Council, Council Appointed Boards, Committees and Commissions Records:

Submit a request on the City of Durham website, Durham One Call app, or in writing addressed to City of Durham City Clerk’s Office, 101 City Hall Plaza, Durham, NC 27701.

All Other General Public Records Requests from the public and news media may be made in one of the following ways:

Once a request is received, the Communications Department will respond to the requester within 24 hours or the next business day to confirm receipt. For tracking and accuracy purposes, requests will not be taken by phone.