Durham Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Commission (BPAC)
The Durham Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Commission (BPAC) is a citizens group whose purpose it is to advise Durham's City Council and Board of County Commissioners on bicycle and pedestrian issues.
BPAC's monthly meeting is at 7 pm on the third Tuesday of each month, in the second floor Committee Room, Durham City Hall, 101 City Hall Plaza. Meetings are open to the public and there is a public comment period at the beginning of each meeting. Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
BPAC Meeting Dates for 2019
BPAC has three committees which meet as follows:
- Development Review Committee: First Thursday of Month, 6:30 pm, Conference Room 1A, Durham City Hall, 101 City Hall Plaza, Durham NC, 27701
- Education, Encouragement, and Engagement Committee: Second Tuesday, 6:00 pm, 103 W Main St., #303, Durham, NC, 27701
- Bike and Pedestrian Plan Implementation and Evaluation Committee: Second Thursday, 6:30 pm, Q Shack, 2510 University Drive, Durham, NC, 27707
The Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Commission (BPAC) was established in July of 2001. BPAC consists of 17 members. Seven of the members are appointed by the City Council and seven are appointed by the Board of County Commissioners. The remaining three members are liaisons from other City/County commissions – the Recreation Advisory Commission, Durham Planning Commission, and Durham Open Space and Trails Commission.
Members serve without compensation and must live within the jurisdiction that appoints them. Applicants must be current on City and County taxes. The members are appointed based on identified categories. The categories represented by BPAC members and the appointing body are:
- Appointed by City Council - Bicycle Commuting, Urban Trails and Greenways, University Students/University Facilities, Transportation Planning Policy, Recreation/ Recreation Business, Inter-Neighborhood Council, N.C. Central University representative
- Appointed by Board of County Commissioners - Youth/Children Advocacy, Senior Advocacy, Education, Bicycle Club/Organization, Health/Physical Fitness, Business/Economic Development, Duke University representative
For additional information about BPAC, contact Dale McKeel at 919-560-4366 ext. 36421 or email@example.com