LGBTQ Liaison Officer
The Durham Police Department is committed to establishing, providing and maintaining a direct channel of communication to address and resolve matters pertaining to the LGBTQ community and to LGBTQ employees of the Durham Police Department. The LGBTQ Liaison shall provide an internal source of support to employees on LGBTQ matters. The LGBTQ liaison shall promote cooperation between the Durham Police Department and the community, while taking a leading role in building a vital link between the police and the LGBTQ community. To that aim the unit shall collaborate with community leaders, residents and businesses within the City of Durham to design and implement safety projects and programs.
In 2016 the Durham Police Department (DPD) created a LGBTQ Liaison Officer position. The LGBTQ Liaison Officer works in DPD’s Community Services Division and serves to:
- Assist in diversity training for the Durham Police Department.
- Heighten awareness of opportunities to engage the LGBTQIAP+ community.
- Conduct outreach by offering training on state and federal hate crimes.
- Help LGBTQIAP+ business owners to avoid victimization.
- Encourage the LGBTQIAP+ community to report crimes.
- Organize safety talks in response to data regarding crimes against the LGBTQIAP+ community.
- Support various police department divisions in investigations and follow-ups
- Represent the Durham Police Department at LGBTQ social and community advocacy functions.
- Provide training and educational material to all sworn personnel to educate them about working with the LGBQ community.
- Organize and host meetings to allow business owners, residents and community.
- Partner with the Hispanic Liaison to provide bilingual crime-prevention information and programs to non-English speaking segments of the LGBTQ community.
- Partner with the Hispanic Liaison to provide outreach and resources to the Latinx LGBTQ community.