2019 Stormwater Infrastructure Repairs (SD-2019-02)
Yi Wang, P.E.
Phone: 919-560-4326, ext. 30244
Watts Street Drainage Repair Project Updates on November 7, 2019:
- Watts Street is open to all traffic. This project is completed.
- Sidewalks on Watts Street have been replaced and will be reopened to pedestrian traffic on Wednesday, 10/30/2019 in anticipation of Halloween.
- Due to rain, Watts Street will not be completed and reopened to vehicular traffic until Monday, 11/4/2019.
Watts Street Drainage Repair Project Updates on September 23, 2019:
Residents and visitors in the Controlled Parking Residential Area (CPRA) can apply for CPRA parking permits at no cost.Watts Street Drainage Repair Project Updates on September 19, 2019:
- Detour Plan for Pedestrians: Sidewalk on both sides of Watts Street between Dacian Avenue and Monmouth Avenue will be closed during the project. All pedestrians will be routed to Dacian Avenue, N. Buchanan Blvd and Monmouth Avenue as part of the detour. Roadside barriers will be placed along the south side of Dacian Avenue between N. Buchanan Blvd and Watts Street to create a temporary walkway for pedestrians.
- Detour Plan for Vehicles: Watts Street between Dacian Avenue and Monmouth Avenue will be closed to through traffic during the project. All vehicles will be routed to W. Markham Avenue, N. Buchanan Blvd and W. Trinity Avenue as part of the detour.
- Project Schedule (tentative):
- On the week of 9/24: Contractor to mobilize and stage equipment. Temporary road closure at the intersection of Watts Street and Alley 13 for the tree removal is scheduled for Thursday, 9/26.
- On the week of 9/30: Contractor to set up detour. Road & sidewalk will be closed for the duration of the project.
- On the week of 12/2: Substantial completion of major construction work is anticipated, depending on weather and field conditions. Road and sidewalk re-open.
- Solid Waste Pick-up Services: The trash and recycling pick-up schedules and locations will remain the same for all properties. Contractor will work with Solid Waste to allow access for pick-up.
- Access to your homes/driveways/garages:
- For all properties outside the project limits: All access will remain open.
- For properties inside the project limits (603, 604, 606, 607, 608, 610, 612, 614 & 616 Watts Street, 1025, 1029 & 1031 Dacian Avenue and 1026 Monmouth Avenue): Limited access during active construction and accommodations will be made as best as possible.
- All driveways that connect to Dacian Avenue between N. Buchanan Blvd and Watts Street will remain open.
- On-street Parking:
- No on-street parking spaces will be available on Watts Street between Dacian Avenue and Monmouth Avenue.
- No on-street parking spaces will be available on the south side of Dacian Avenue between N. Buchanan Blvd and Watts Street.
The City of Durham Public Works Department will soon begin construction to replace a section of Watts Street and Alley 13. The compromised stormwater system within the right-of-way has caused sinkholes near the sidewalk.
This construction is expected to take eight (8) weeks to complete depending on weather and site conditions.
Key Project Dates
- Advertisement: September 6, 2018
- Pre-Bid Conference: September 20, 2018
- Bid Opening: October 8, 2018
- Notice to Proceed: January 22, 2019
The project involves the furnishing of all materials, labor, equipment, tools, etc. unless otherwise specified, for the complete installation of the repairs of stormwater drainage infrastructure systems at various project site locations throughout the City of Durham.
Outstanding Project Sites
Completed Project Sites
- Arnette Avenue
- Cobb Street
- Dupree Street
- East Forest Hills Boulevard
- Proctor Street
- Steele Avenue
- Watts Street