Durham Planning Academy
Fall 2019 Session Closed!
The Fall 2019 Planning Academy is full and emails sent out to participants. Applicants have been placed on a waitlist and will be notified by October 18th if a seat opens.
About the Durham Planning Academy
Have you ever wondered to yourself ….What exactly is zoning and what can/can’t it do? How do things get built in Durham? Why does that building or site look like that? How and why do you plan for something that is 5, 10, or 15 years away? What legal basis does the City and County have to regulate land? How can residents get involved in planning matters?
Since 2016, The Durham City-Count Planning Department has hosted the Durham Planning Academy, an interactive 4-week course designed to introduce residents of Durham to important planning concepts and procedures. Participants will learn about a variety of planning and development topics, such as the history of city planning, how development projects come together, the laws and court cases shaping property rights and the actions of governments, the role of the Durham City-County Planning Department and other departments, and how to get involved in planning issues in your community. Upon graduation, participants will have a basic working knowledge of both the theoretical and practical aspects of planning and development in Durham.
For more information, c
Documents from previous sessions of Planning Academy are posted below for community reference and information. Please note that this archived material may not be the same material presented in upcoming Planning Academy sessions. Other materials related to the planning field are also included as additional resources.
• Fall 2016 – Presentation (Session 1)
• Fall 2016 – Presentation (Session 2)
• Fall 2016 – Presentation (Session 3)
• Robert Caro, “The Power Broker,” Introduction (pp. 1-21)
• Robert Fishman, “Urban Utopias: Ebenezer Howard and Le Corbusier” (pp. 19-63)
• Jane Jacobs, “The Death and Life of Great American Cities,” Introduction (pp. 1-25)
• Edward J. Kaiser et al, “Urban Land Use Planning,” Chapter 3 (pp. 61-83)
• David W. Owens, “Introduction to Zoning and Development Review, Chapter 1 (pp. 1-11)
• David W. Owens, “Introduction to Zoning and Development Review, Chapter 4 (pp. 31-52)