Updates and Notices
NOTICE: City of Durham Welcomes BSI Online for Electronic Submittal of Backflow TestingEffective August 1, 2019, the City of Durham contracted with Backflow Solutions, Inc. (BSI) to assist in our cross connection control and backflow program. Approved Certified Testers will be required to register on the BSI Online website and submit their credentials, including proof of employment. BSI makes communication easier for customers. For instance, the last tester and company that tested your backflow will get email notifications when your first notice goes out. Water customers also can review their backflow test results online. For additional information please email BSI at email@example.com, call (800) 414-4990 or go online to https://bsionline.com/.
If you are a water customer with backflow preventer and want to check the status of your annual testing or find an approved certified tester you will need your CCN. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain your CCN. Once you have your CCN please go to https://bsionline.com and click on "WATER CUSTOMER (Enter Here)."
NOTICE: Trip Charges (last updated 1/29/2019)Effective July 1, 2019, Trip charge(s) shall be collected in advance for requests to unlock meters associated with non-compliant backflow preventers. Payment shall be made at the time of the unlock request at https://ipn2.paymentus.com/rotp/dhcc. Select Payment Type "Trip Charge." Enter the address where the meter is located under Permit/Application Number.
NOTICE: Backflow Preventer Permits for Replacement of Fire Protection Backflow Preventers Require Approved Fire Permit
Effective immediately new and replacement backflow preventers installed on fire protection systems require a Fire Protection System permit and a backflow prevention permit. For additional information, please see the Backflow Preventer Permits for Replacement of Fire Protection Backflow Preventers Require Approved Fire Permit (PDF).
NOTICE: Plan Review Fee Collection
Effective 11/1/2017, CCC implemented a $150.00 fee to perform plan review and re-review(s) associated with received building permit applications to the City/County Inspections Department. Cross Connection Plan Review Application and fees are due once the building permit has been submitted to the City/County Inspections Department for review. In order to request Cross Connection Control to perform a plan review, a “Cross Connection Plan Review Application” and online payment shall be submitted. Please follow the steps below:
- Go online to the Land Development Office (LDO) and login using your contractor ID and PIN.
- If you do not know your contractor ID or PIN please contact our office at (919) 560-4194.
- Select under APPLICATIONS: Cross Connection Plan Review Application
- Complete the form completely using your Building Permit provided to you for the plan review
- Ensure the email address you enter is accurate, automated generated emails will be sent using this email address
- Once application has been submitted, please pay the $150 fee for the "CCC Plan Review" within LDO.
- Once payment has been approved you will receive a confirmation email and receipt.
- Another copy is also sent to the Cross Connection Workgroup and your payment will be applied appropriately.
- Once payment has been applied, your Cross Connection Plan Review Application will go from “On Hold” to “Complete/REVIEW,” notifying CCC staff to perform your plan review.
- Once your Cross Connection Plan Review Applications in the REVIEW status our office has eight (8) business days to review.
NOTICE: Work Started Without Permit Fee
No person may commence or proceed with the installation of backflow preventer assemblies without first obtaining a Backflow Permit. Due to the high volume of work started without permit, in order to offset the cost, the city will implement a double backflow permit fee on each backflow assembly that was installed prior to being issued a backflow permit. Effective January 1, 2017, a $200.00 backflow permit fee will be charged for a backflows installed prior to a permit being issued, required by the Department of Water Management Cross Connection Control (Part 15-116). For additional information, please see the Work Started Without Permit (PDF).
NOTICE: Re-Inspection Fee
Due to the high volume of re-inspections, in order to offset the cost, the city will implement a fee on each additional re-inspection trip required to close out a permit. Effective April 1, 2016, a $100.00 re-inspection fee will be charged for a re-inspection of a Backflow preventer permit, required by the Department of Water Management Cross Connection Control (Part 15-116). For additional information, please see the Re-Inspection Fee Notice (PDF).