City-County Inspections Department
Due to the COVID-19, starting Monday, March 23rd., City Hall will be closed to public access. The Inspections Department staff can be reached by phone or email.
- Applying for trade permits will continue by accessing our Land Development Office (LDO) website.
- Building permit applications can be applied for by using the Dplans website.
- Requesting inspections can be scheduled through the LDO website.
- Field inspections will continue, but will be limited. Inspections in occupied buildings and HVAC replacements in occupied homes will not be conducted at this time due to concerns for the health of the occupants and our field personnel. Please contact the Chief of your trade to discuss any concern with your inspection.
- Third party inspections and live remote video inspections will be considered with prior approval. Please contact the Chief of your trade to discuss further.
- Plan reviews will continue, but only through digital communication.
- All fees pertaining to the Inspections Department will be paid online through the LDO portal. We will not be accepting currency or checks by mail and we do not have the ability to take credit cards over the phone.
***COVID-19 Guidance for Inspections Customers***
The City-County Inspections Department has enacted additional restrictions on movement and the operations of business in response to the COVID-19 crisis. During this critical time, we are committed to meeting the demand of the construction industry, while protecting the health and safety of our customers, staff and the community we serve.
• First-time structural framing
• First time trade rough-in inspections
• Temporary power/temporary utility connections
• Final inspections for occupancy approval
**The qualifying inspections are subject to change as the situation evolves**
Inspections not Eligible for LRI
2. Have you or others in your home had known close contact to someone with COVID-19?
3. Have you or others in your home traveled outside the country within the past 14 days? Countries that have a Level 3 Travel Health Notice can be found at: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/after-travel-precautions.html
If the answers to all three questions are “no”, then we will proceed with the inspection with the project vacant or, if assistance is needed, while exercising social distancing per CDC guidelines. If the answer to any of the 3 questions is “yes”, then the inspection will be marked as inaccessible without a chargeable failure and the inspection request will need to be resubmitted after 14 days and symptoms have resolved (if applicable).
We understand that we are all in this together, while needing to remain apart for now. Our hope is that these guidelines will help us all continue to operate our businesses while we are legally authorized to do so. Thank you for your continued partnership in facilitating code compliance success in Durham. Also, thanks to our partners at Charlotte Mecklenburg Code Enforcement for their assistance and sharing of resources.
City-County Inspections Responsibilities
- Conducting inspections of building projects in progress
- Issuing Certificates of Compliance
- Providing information on requirements for manufactured homes, family care homes, day care facilities, floodplain management and impact fees
- Reviewing applications for Building, Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing, and Fire Permits
- Reviewing permits for construction activity
- Reviewing plans
Latest News & Information
Enhanced Plan Review
Commercial and Residential
- Call 984-227-0782
- Email Scott
- Speak to Scott in person (during normal business hours of 8:00a.m. - 5:00p.m.)
Changes are Coming
New procedures and services added on July 1, 2018:
- All building plan reviews will require a plan review fee at the time of building plan application submittal. The amount of the plan review fee will be subtracted from the cost of the building permit fee at the time of permit issuance. If the building permit application exceeds six months with no activity, the building permit application will be voided, and the plan review fee will not be refunded.
- Click on the Dplans link for instructions for all plan submittals.
- New Fire Permits are required. Please refer to the Building Fee Schedule for more detail.
- After Hour Inspections are available for a fee. Please refer to the specific trade fee schedule or call the Chief or Supervisor for more detail.
Informal Internal Review
Per G.S. 160A-412 and G.S. 153A-352, each inspection department shall implement a process by December 1, 2017 for an Informal Internal Review of inspection decisions made by the Department’s inspectors. The Internal Review Form for requesting an Informal Internal Review is available in our office or by clicking on the link below. Once the form is filled out, please submit it to the Chief or Field Supervisor of that trade. For more information on the internal review process, please call our main number at 919-560-4144.