Budget Development Process
FY 2021-22 Budget Process Latest Update
FY22 Budget Kickoff
Budget and Management Services held its Budget Kickoff event with City staff on January 6th, 2020. At this event, BMS communicated expectations for the upcoming budget cycle to City departments. Department budget submissions are due to BMS in February.
FY 2021-22 budget development schedule
City Council adopted the FY 2021-22 budget development schedule at their December 7, 2020 meeting.
The City of Durham's Fiscal Year (FY) 2020-21 began on July 1st, 2020. Budget staff are currently working with departments, Council, and the Durham community to develop the FY22 budget which will take effect on July 1st, 2021.
To learn more about the City's budget process, please view our new videos:
Video 1: What is a Budget?
Video 2: Budget Development Timeline
PREVIOUS BUDGET CYCLES
- FY 2020-2021 BUDGET PROCESS
- FY 2019-2020 Budget Process
- FY 2018-2019 Budget Process
- FY 2017-2018 Budget Process
- FY 2016-2017 Budget Process
- FY 2015-2016 Budget Process
- FY 2014-2015 Budget Process
- FY 2013-2014 Budget Process
FY 2020-21 Budget Process
June 15, 2020 City Council Meeting
City Council voted to adopt the FY 2020-21 Budget and Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) on June 15, 2020. The meeting agenda and materials can be found here.
The proposed FY20-21 City of Durham Budget can be found here. The final budget book for the FY21 Adopted Budget will be posted in the coming weeks.
Previous FY 2020-21 Budget Meetings
June 1, 2020 Public Hearing FY20-21 Budget
In order to obtain written and oral comments on the proposed FY 2020-21 City of Durham Budget, a public hearing was held virtually on June 1, 2020 at 7:00 p.m. All interested residents and organizations were encouraged to view the meeting online. Public Comments were accepted from Thursday, May 28, 2020 at 5 p.m. until 72 hours after the Public Hearing. All submitted comments were provided to the City Council for their review prior to the virtual meeting. Public comments are limited to 500 words.
Individuals wishing to make remarks completed a Public Comment Form at https://durhamnc.gov/3012/Public-Hearings-and-Notices or contacted the City Clerk’s office at 919-560-4166, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Council Budget Work Sessions
The Durham City Council held two budget work sessions to hear presentations from various departments. Materials from the meetings can be found below.
May 27th, 10 AM - 1 PM
May 28th, 10 AM - 1 PM
The full version of the Manager’s Proposed budget can be viewed here.
May 18, 2020 Manager’s Proposed Budget
Durham City Manager Tom Bonfield presented a proposed FY20-21 budget on May 18. You can access a PDF of his presentation and the proposed budget below:
The City Manager will present the FY21 Manager’s Proposed Budget on Monday, May 18th at 7:00PM during the City Council Meeting. You can watch his presentation live here.
April 24, 2020 Special City Council Meeting
The City Council held a Virtual Special City Council Meeting on the FY21 budget on Friday, April 24th.
The meeting can be viewed below and the News & Observer highlights discussion points and key takeaways from the meeting in this article.
April 6th, 2020 City Council Meeting
At the April 6th City Council Meeting, Budget Director Bertha Johnson provided an update on the FY21 budget process to City Council. Highlights include BMS continuing to conduct budget meetings with departments, analyzing the impact of COVID-19 on future revenues, and working on the FY20 Quarter 3 report. This update can be viewed in the below video starting around the 2:25:00 mark.
March 16th, 2020 Public Budget Hearing and Budget Academy
Out of an abundance of caution and in the interest of promoting public health, the City canceled the Budget Academy event which was scheduled for March 16th at 5:00PM. During this current period where we are unable to hold public in-person events, Budget & Management services will continue to provide information to Durham residents through our website.
City Council Budget Retreats
In February, Budget & Management Services hosted two City Council budget retreats. Agendas and presentations from these meetings can be viewed below:
Retreat 1: Friday, February 14th, 2020
- February 14th Retreat Agenda
- During this meeting, Council established that they would like to be transparent about the requests they plan to submit for inclusion in the City of Durham budget. Council discussed their budget requests and prioritization methodology during the City Council Work Session on March 5th, 2020. In doing so, Council worked towards identifying which requests that they planned to include in the FY21 Annual Budget. Materials can be viewed here.
Retreat 2: Friday, February 28th, 2020
Read the City of Durham's Proposed FY 2019-20 Proposed Budget below and see more information at the following links:
Review and Adoption:
- FY 2019-20 Council Review and Adoption Schedule
- FY 2019-20 Proposed Budget (PDF Download)
Fiscal Year 2019-20 City Council Budget Retreats
First City Council Budget Retreat - February 15, 2019
First Retreat Audio:
Second City Council Budget Retreat - March 8, 2019
Second Retreat Audio Part 1::
Second Retreat Audio Part 2::
FY 2018-19 Preliminary Budget Document
- City Council Budget Work Session - May 30, 2018 (Agenda, AM Presentations & PM Presentations)
- City Council Budget Work Session - May 31, 2018 (Agenda, AM Presentations & Draft Strategic Plan)
City Council Budget Retreat - Feb. 23, 2018 (Agenda)
City Council Budget Retreat - Mar. 16, 2018 (Agenda)
- Mar. 16 Agenda Addendum
- 2014-2015 Preliminary Budget
- Año Fiscal 2014 - Desarrollo del Presupuesto (PDF)
- City Council Budget Retreat - Day 1 (PDF)
- City Council Budget Retreat - Day 2 (PDF)
- Coffee With Council Presentation (PDF)
- Fiscal Year 2014-15 Budget Schedule (PDF)
- May 28, Wednesday a.m. Presentations (PDF)
- May 28, Wednesday p.m. Presentations (PDF)
- May 29, Thursday a.m. Presentations (PDF)
- May 29, Thursday p.m. Presentations (PDF)