Other Resources

Durham Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Commission (BPAC)
The Durham Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Commission (BPAC) is a citizens group whose purpose it is to advise Durham's City Council and Board of County Commissioners on bicycle and pedestrian issues.

Durham Open Space & Trails Commission (DOST)
The Durham Open Space and Trails Commission is an advisory board whose mission is to foster the wise use of Durham's natural resources while involving and educating all segments of the Durham community. In addition, the commission advises the City Council and the County Board of Commissioners on matters relating to open space preservation and trail development.

Reporting a Problem
In Durham, to report a problem with a sidewalk, bike path or other facility:
  • For emergencies - call 911
  • Non-emergency police issues (e.g., vehicles parked in bike lane or on sidewalk), call 919-560-4600
  • For most issues (potholes, sidewalk repairs, signal problems, bike lane or street sweeping, etc.), call Durham One Call at 919-560-1200 or make a request online
  • Street Light Problems:  contact Duke Energy
  • To report a blocked/inaccessible bike rack or sidewalk on private property, ect.:  Fill out a Zoning Complaint Form

Bicycle Rack Program

The City of Durham has a program for placing new bicycle racks. The City usually installs bicycle racks only on public property. To suggest a location for a new rack, use the online bicycle rack location form. For information, email Dale McKeel or call 919-560-4366, ext.36421.

Racks must be installed on public property, usually on sidewalks or at parks, schools, and other government buildings. To facilitate rack installation, consider talking to nearby business owners to assess whether the bike rack installation is welcome.

Suggest a New Bicycle Rack Location

Sidewalks must be wide enough to accommodate a rack. Please review the City’s bicycle rack placement guidelines (PDF) prior to making a request.