Return to Solid Waste home
2115 E. Club Blvd.
Durham, NC 27704
Convenience Center Operating Hours
This disposal area is for customers who are manually unloading items; for example waste that is in a pick-up truck or car.
Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Saturday, 7:30 a.m. - noon
Tipping Floor Operating Hours
The tipping floor is for customers whose vehicle has hydraulic dumping capability. No hand unloading takes place on the tipping floor.
Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Saturday, 7:30 a.m. - noon
All loads entering the transfer station must be covered and secured or financial penalties may apply. All vehicles disposing of waste must stop at the scale house to be weighed before being directed to the proper location for disposal. All loads are subject to random screening to prevent contamination by illegal or hazardous materials. Scale operators will determine whether a load is in compliance with federal, state and local guidelines. Hazardous materials, medical waste, radioactive materials, and liquid waste are not accepted. All fluids must be removed from lawn equipment prior to disposal. Tires must be removed from riding lawn mowers before disposal.
The following are accepted at this facility:
• Household garbage (municipal solid waste) – fees apply
• Yard waste – fees apply
• Asphalt shingles – fees apply
• Lead acid batteries
• White goods (appliances)
• Scrap tires, without rims only – no fees for less than five tires
• Motor oil and cooking oil
• Motor oil filters
• Used anti-freeze
• Swap Items
(Fees may be subject to change)
Municipal Solid Waste (MSW)
• Commercial loads - $44.50 per ton • Residential cars, station wagons, minivans - $1 per load• Standard residential pick-up trucks and SUVs - flat rate based on volume, maximum of $14
· Commercial loads - $26.50 per ton
· Residential cars, station wagons, minivans - $1 per load
· Standard residential pick-up trucks and SUVs - flat rate based on volume, maximum of $9
• Everyone pays $44.50 per ton. There is no discount for residents or any flat fees that apply to shingle disposal.
Used Tires (Monday - Friday 7:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. only)
• Five or fewer tires, off the rim only – no charge
• Tire retailers/haulers with DENR certification may bring tires at no charge only if all the tires are off the rim. Copies of car titles or E-500G tax forms may be required as proof of eligibility for free disposal.
• All others - $91 per ton
Residential Shredding Services (Residential shredding services are NOT available for commercial customers)
Please follow the instructions below to either drop office shredding items or to observe your items being shredded:
· Shredding at the Transfer Station is by appointment only. (Unless just dropping off items)
· Shredding appointments are taken only on Wednesdays, which can be scheduled from 7:30am to 4pm (Also the drop off times).
· Customers can call directly to make an appointment by dialing: 919-560-4505 ext 7 or 8.
Customers can either drop off the items ( no appointment needed) or if they choose to observe the items being shredded, must call to make an appointment. All customers are asked to ensure that all items are clear of clips of any type, binders, or other fasteners.
Customers should only bring up to 3 full trash bags OR 3 boxes of items to be shredded.
Call (919) 560-4186 if you have any other questions.
We collect the following forms of payment:
· Debit/Credit cards with the Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover logo