(919) 560-4326, ext. 30266
This is a project being performed by a consulting engineering firm, Horvath Associates, PLLC. The purpose of the project is to provide functional design information for bicycle and pedestrian facilities along the roadway corridors listed below:
1) Morreene Road - Erwin Road to Neal Road
Estimated Length: 1.5 miles
2) Carpenter-Fletcher Road - Woodcroft Parkway to Alston
Estimated Length: 0.8 miles
3) Cornwallis Road - South Roxboro Street to Chapel Hill Road
Estimated Length: 1.2 miles
4) Hillandale Road - I-85 to NC-147
Estimated Length: 1.1 miles
Both the DurhamWalks! Pedestrian Plan and the Durham Comprehensive Bicycle Transportation Plan, adopted in 2006, call for pedestrian and bicycle improvements to these corridors. The project purpose does not include road widening to expand the traffic capacity of the corridors or intersections within the corridors.
The information provided by the functional design project for each street is listed below.
1) Topographic Corridor Maps which include but not limited
to the following design data:
- Field surveyed topography
- Utilities both above and below ground
- Roadway pavement and driveways
- Streams drainage systems, ditches and culverts
- Stream buffers and floodplain limits
- Trees and landscaping
- Property lines and corners
2) Recommended Improvements for bike lanes and sidewalks
3) Cost Estimates
4) Permit requirements
5) Property Information for each lot including
- Easement requirements
- Construction Impact
- Acquisitions required
6) Future Construction Phasing
Neighborhood and Public Review Meetings
Much of the of the work has been completed by the consultant and a series of meetings, one for each each street, have been scheduled to review the recommended imporovments with the neighborhoods and public.
The meetings will be held from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the following locations for each of the streets. There will not be a formal presentation at the meetings. The meeting format is causal and staff will be on-hand to discuss the proposed improvements and impacts, if any, to the properties within the project limits for each street.
1) Carpenter Fletcher, Tuesday, May 27 at the South Regional Library, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
2) Morreene Road, Wednesday, May 28 at the Durham Public Schools Staff Development Center on Hillandale Road, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
3) Cornwallis Road, Monday, June 2, at Roger-Herr Elemantary School, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.
4) Hillandale Road, Wednesday, June 11 at the Durham Public Schools Staff Development Center on Hillandale Road, 6 p.m. - 8 p.m.