Durham Armory - 212 Foster St., Durham, NC
The Durham Armory is located on the corner of Foster and Morgan streets and is available for rentals for your community or private event, whether it is a fundraiser, concert, wedding reception, seminar or family reunion. With a capacity of 585 in the auditorium/ballroom and an additional 314 in the balcony, the Durham Armory offers a large indoor space with lots of flexibility. The amenities include a large commercial kitchen, heating and air conditioning, coatroom, snack bar, tables, chairs, and ample parking surrounding the facility. Call the reservation office at (919) 560-4355, ext. 27202, for availability and rental rates.
Sunday through Saturday 8 a.m. to 2 a.m. (minimum six hours)
Closed during City holidays
Spruce Pine Lodge - 2235 Bahama Rd., Bahama, NC
The lodge is a 1940's vintage log building located in the Lake Michie Recreation Area. The lodge has 2,500 square feet of floor space which is divided into four meeting rooms, all served by a kitchen facility. Depending on the type of activity, the building will accommodate 120 people. Log walls and massive stone fireplaces lend a unique quality to all types of functions. Hiking trails, a large lawn and play field, and picnic shelter are also available for use, as well as Lake Michie’s camping, boating and fishing facilities nearby. The lodge is 12 miles north of downtown Durham (near Bahama) and easily accessible from Interstate 85. The building, associated lawns and picnic shelter are available to rent for weddings, large picnics, meetings, retreats, parties or other group activities. Call the reservation office at (919) 560-4355, ext. 27202 for availability and rental rates.
Sunday through Saturday 8 a.m. to midnight (minimum six hours)
Closed during city holidays
Forest Hills Neighborhood Clubhouse - 1639 University Dr., Durham, NC
This historic building is located in the heart of the Forest Hills neighborhood and offers a large meeting room, a spacious kitchen, restrooms, heat, air conditioning, and a large lawn. The clubhouse will accommodate 80 people and is perfect for a business meeting, team building retreats, parties, anniversaries, church functions, and family reunions. Call the reservation office at (919) 560-4355, ext. 27202 for availability and rental rates.
Sunday through Saturday 8 a.m. to midnight (minimum 3 hour rental)
Closed during city holidays
5101 N. Roxboro Rd., Durham, NC
This restored 1850’s farmhouse is a quaint facility that features rooms sheathed in original heart pine boards, a brick patio, a spacious kitchen, restrooms, heat, air conditioning, porches and gardens. The patio seats forty and the house will accommodate sixty people (twenty per room maximum). Rent this facility for your next small gatherings such as weddings, receptions and meetings. Call the reservation office at (919) 560-4355, ext. 27202 for availability and rental rates.
Sunday through Saturday 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Closed during city holidays
Forest Hills Neighborhood Center, the Durham Armory, Spruce Pine Lodge and the McCown-Mangum House.
1. A permit must be secured from the City of Durham, Parks and Recreation Department (DPR).
2. Facilities are available for rental subject to schedules of pre-existing programs, events, classes and/or other activities.
3. Once a request is made for use of a DPR facility, a 10-day hold will be placed on the proposed date(s) of use. On or before the 10th day Durham Parks and Recreation must receive the required application fee and the security deposit. If the payment is not received by the 10th day, the requested date will be reopened to the public without notice to the requesting parties.
4. DPR reserves the right to deny any application.
5. Renters may change application for permit information (i.e. times, estimated attendance, etc.) up to 21 days prior to requested date. At 21 days prior to requested date, information provided on the application for permit will become binding; all information provided must be accurate.
6. Renters must provide accurate contact information including: address, phone numbers and a day-of contact phone number.
7. All other payments are due no later than 45 days prior to the requested date. If payment is not received by that date, the contract will be cancelled and the deposit and any fees paid will be retained by the Department.
8. The use fee or deposit will not be refunded for cancellations less than 45 days prior to the requested date of use.
9. Setup, dismantle and storage of equipment and supplies on days other than the event date constitutes use of the building and stated rates apply. If you need set-up or dismantle time before 6 a.m. or after the building closing time you must rent the building on the day prior to and/or after the event.
10. The renter must be at least 21 years of age. There must be one adult age 21 or over, per each 10 minors below the age of 21.
11. The event may require: security and/or insurance, paid for by the renter. Both are required whenever a public dance is held and whenever alcohol will be served.
12. Renter may not sublet the space to another group or individual.
13. Rentals charging admission/selling tickets to event must pay the associated fee.
14. DPR reserves the right to deny any request made less than 30 calendar days prior to the requested use date. Those approved will be required to pay all fees including the deposit within two business days in cash, credit card or money order.
Rules for the Use/Sale of Alcohol
Spirituous liquor is not permitted at the McCown-Mangum House. Alcoholic beverages are not permitted at any picnic shelter, campsite or neighborhood or recreation center. The following rules apply if you intend to provide alcoholic beverages at an event at the Durham Armory, Spruce Pine Lodge or the McCown-Mangum House.
1. "Alcoholic Beverage" is defined as champagne, beer, wine (fortified and unfortified) or spirituous liquor.
2. Renters must complete a DPR alcohol application and pay all related fees to serve alcoholic beverages. The DPR alcohol application fee is $50.
4. An Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) "Special One-Time Permit for the Sale of Alcoholic Beverages" must be obtained in order to sell alcoholic beverages. The permit may be secured from the North Carolina Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission
. A special event permit must be authorized by DPR for any event where alcohol will be sold.
5. Renters are required by the City to request and pay for security provided by the City of Durham Police Department during the event. Security requirements will be determined based on the location, size and type of event.
6. Renters must provide a certificate of liability insurance to Durham Parks and Recreation reservations office no later than 15 business days prior to the event. (This insurance should show general liability insurance with an alcohol/liquor rider for at least $1,000,000.00, also naming the City of Durham as an additional insured.) If this is not turned in on time alcohol will not be able to be served at the event.
7. Alcohol may not be served at events hosted for persons under the age of 21. It is unlawful to serve alcoholic beverages to anyone under the age of 21.
8. When alcoholic beverages are being served attendees must be invited by the renter or a special event permit
must be authorized by DPR.