What: Paper Shredding, E-Waste, and Christmas Tree Recycling Event
Who: City of Durham Solid Waste Management Department, Sonoco Recycling, Shimar Recycling, and Synergy Recycling
When: Saturday, January 14, 2012, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Where: Sears Parking Lot at Northgate Mall
1058 W. Club Blvd.
Durham, N.C. 27701
• The event will accept nearly all electronic devices with a cord, including:
o Computers, laptops, keyboards, mice, printers, monitors, speakers, copiers, scanners, circuit boards, hard drives, computer parts, etc.
o Televisions, stereo equipment, tape players, receivers, amplifiers, record players, etc.
o Kitchen electronics, such as microwaves, mixers, blenders, choppers, etc.
o Telephones, cell phones, and fax machines
o Hair dryers, curling irons, alarm clocks, and vacuum cleaners
o Power tools, cordless tools, etc.
o Electronic toys, such as keyboards and video game systems
• Free confidential paper shredding will also be provided and shredding guidelines are as follows:
o Paper accepted for shredding may contain paper clips and staples
o Hanging file folders will not be accepted
o Residents are welcome to wait while their paper is shredded
• Christmas trees will also be accepted at this event. Trees taller than six feet should be cut in half. Residents should remove all decorations and hardware, including tinsel, lights, garland, ornaments, nails, and stands.
• This event will not accept large appliances, refrigerators, air conditioners, or anything with Freon.
• Staff will be on hand to unload all old electronics and papers brought to the event.
• This event is open to area residents and businesses.
• Durham residents who can’t make this event can still safely and conveniently recycle their old electronics at the City’s Waste Disposal and Recycling Center (Transfer Station). The facility, located at 2115 E. Club Blvd., is open Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Saturdays from 7:30 a.m. to noon.
• For information about items accepted at this event or the City’s recycling facilities, contact Durham One Call at (919) 560-1200 or visit the City’s website at http://DurhamNC.gov/ich/op/swmd/Pages/wr_transfer.aspx.
About the Solid Waste Management Department
The City of Durham's Solid Waste Management Department promotes and supports a high quality of life for the residents of Durham by providing comprehensive, responsive, environmentally-safe, efficient and cost-effective solid waste collection, recycling and disposal programs. Department services include roll-out cart collection, cart delivery and repair service, cardboard collection, yard waste collection, waste reduction and recycling, bulky item pick-up, and disposal services. For more information, visit http://DurhamNC.gov/ich/op/swmd.