View all facilities

Morreene Road Park

Features

  1. Baseball/Softball Field - Youth
  2. Basketball
  3. Picnic Shelter
  4. Picnic Tables
  5. Playground
  6. Recreation Center
  7. Restrooms
  8. Tennis Courts
  9. Water Fountain
History

A document in the Duke University Archives notes that in August, 1922, Ben and Dora Bridgers bought two lots of the former W. T. Redmond farm south of “Hillsboro” Road. They opened a dairy on the site and named it for a combination of Dora Bridgers’ brothers’ middle names: Vester Morris Dorrity and Robert Greene Dorrity—thus the Morreene Dairy. When the City extended that dead end road in the 1930’s to connect with Erwin Rd., it was officially named the “Morreene Dairy Rd.” In September, 1958, the City Council changed the name to simply “Morreene Rd.”