Minor Repair Program

Notice to Contractors - Housing Rehabilitation Services
The department is actively seeking general contractors to participate in the City of Durham Minor Repair Program and maintains ongoing contractor recruitment year round. 

To qualify for the urgent repair program owner occupant(s) must be age 62 or older, handicapped, or disabled. In addition, owner occupant(s) must occupy the home as their principal residence and will be required to sign a Grant Agreement with the City of Durham agreeing to own and occupy the property for those five years after the rehabilitation work is completed.

This program requires that the owner occupant(s) supply the necessary information to the City of Durham to determine their income eligibility for the program. Each year HUD publishes the Gross Median Family Income for the Durham Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA). Household income must not exceed 50% of the area median income for the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area by family size.

Income Limitations

Family Size Maximum

Intake Appointments

An intake appointment must be scheduled to apply for this program. To find out if you qualify, please call 919-560-4570 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

Repairs Available

The Urgent Repair Program is a grant program that does not require any repayment by the owner occupant. An assessment must be conducted to determine the work to be completed and the urgency of the repairs. This program may cover some, but not all of the following examples:
  • Improvement required to provide handicap accessibility (Repair or install ramps, grab-bars, handicapped bathrooms or door widening)
  • Repair or replacement of roof when there is an active leak
  • Repair or replacement of dangerous or inadequate heating and cooling systems
  • Repair or replacement of air conditioning system if medical documentation is provided
  • Repair or replacement of dangerous electrical systems that may present a hazard to the occupant(s)
  • Repair or replacement of deteriorated foundations or porch structural members such as steps, landings, decking, hand or guard rail
  • Replacement deteriorated water or sewer lines
  • Repair or replacement of interior floors, or floor systems which are structurally unsound and present a threat to the safety of the occupant(s)