Planning Public Notification Service (formerly Organization Directory)
New Planning Public Notification Service Effective January 15, 2019
The Planning Department will be expanding its public notification service starting January 15, 2019. The Department will begin sending out email notification of all upcoming, Planning public hearings and other public meetings to anyone (individuals, neighborhood organizations, other entities, etc.) who signs up for the service.
These notifications are separate from those sent by the Development Services Center. You must OPT-IN to the Planning Public Notification Service in order to receive the notification emails.
To sign up for the notifications, use the link https://durhamnc.gov/list.aspx?ListID=340.
- The Planning Department's new email Public Notification Service is a continuation and expansion of the existing neighborhood notification mail-outs for zoning and other land use public hearings.
- These notifications go beyond state law requirements and have been determined by Durham’s elected officials to be a necessary method to help citizens stay informed about upcoming zoning and other land use public hearings.
- Notification will NOT be restricted to a certain distance from a site -- any individual or entity that requests this notification will receive notification for ALL scheduled hearings.
- The Planning Public Notification Service notifications will only be performed through email -- no letters will be sent.
- The Planning Public Notification Service emails will NOT change requirements for property owner notifications as required by local and state laws. Those notifications will continue as required.
- Notifications will also be sent to alert subscribers about upcoming public meetings and other opportunities to participate in Planning-related events and projects, such as the upcoming new Comprehensive Plan.
What do I need to do?
- All subscribers to the Planning Public Information Service MUST Opt-In. If your or your organization are currently included in the Organization Directory, you WILL NOT be automatically subscribed to the new Planning Public Information Service list.
- All organizations and individuals will be removed from our current list on January 31st. Therefore, if you want to receive email notifications, you must subscribe through this link: https://durhamnc.gov/list.aspx?ListID=340.
- The service is currently free and requires setting up an account on the DurhamNC.gov website. If you are already subscribed to at least one other notification service through the City’s website, you can easily add the Planning Public Notification Service to your subscriptions.
- If you do not want this service, do not subscribe.
- If you change your mind, you can subscribe or unsubscribe at any time.
- Please note that text messages (SMS) are not available for this subscription due to extra charges.
What should I expect after I sign up?
Email notifications will be sent approximately every 2 weeks, but at least once a month, and will provide basic information about upcoming Planning-related public or quasi-judicial hearings by the following boards or commissions. Expect to see the dates of upcoming meetings and their locations, with a list of cases scheduled at the time of publication. The case listing will include the case number and name of the project for the following:
- Board of Adjustment (special use permits, variances, appeals, reasonable accommodation requests).
- Historic Preservation Commission (certificates of appropriateness, new or expanding local historic districts).
- Planning Commission (rezonings, comprehensive plan amendments, future land use map amendments, ordinance text amendments).
- City Council and Board of County Commissioners (rezonings, comprehensive plan amendments, future land use map amendments, ordinance text amendments, major and transportation special use permits, major site plans).
Notifications will also be sent to alert subscribers about upcoming public meetings and other opportunities to participate in Planning-related events and projects.
Where can I get more information about the items in the notification?
The notifications will include links to more information about the agendas and items listed, including the following:
- The City's Agenda Center has the latest agenda materials and minutes for the all City-County Boards and Commissions.
- See also the Public Hearings and Notices page on the City Clerk's web site.
- Agenda materials for the Durham City Council are available according to the City Clerk's schedule.
- Agenda materials are available by the Friday before the meeting for the following (linked to their Agenda Center web page):
- Agenda materials for the Durham County Board of County Commissioners are available on the County Commissioners' web page.
- Notifications for Planning-related projects will contain links to the web page with more information. In general, you can find these projects listed on the Current Topics web page.
For questions, please contact Teri Danner by email or at 919-560-4137, ext. 28246.