Construction Drawing Review Process
Who reviews construction drawings?
The following development review groups review construction drawings for the City of Durham:
- Utilities (water, sewer, and stormwater conveyance systems)
- Stormwater Control Measures and Stormwater Regulatory Compliance
- (Shop drawing reviews: reviewed with CDs are not accepted after CD Approval)
- Signage Plans
- Traffic Plans
- Floodplain (When not approved during Site Plan review)
- NPAA (When not approved during Site Plan review)
- Pump Stations
- (Shop drawing reviews: reviewed after CDs are approved for Pump Stations-are not accepted at CD Triage)
Construction drawings intake process
Triage is the acceptance or rejection of construction drawing submittals for review. All construction drawing submittals are subject to an initial examination by Development Services to ensure the submittal is complete and that it has all the required information and items contained on submittal checklists for a detailed review by the individual reviewers within the City of Durham.
When is it done?
Plan and accompanying documentation are accepted at all times, however they are only logged into LDO (the City’s application tracking software/system) prior to triage by noon on:
- Wednesday, and
Types of construction drawing submittals
The 1st review submittal is the initial submittal to the City.
A resubmittal is any submittal after an initial submittal review that has produced redlines or comments from the development review groups that need to be addressed before the project can be approved.
See below for how redlines and comments should be addressed.
Originals are the final plan set that is ready for signatures from the development group reviewers.
All comments should be adequately addressed prior to submitting redlines.
How to prepare submittals for triage.
All submittals should be prepared as individual submittal packages for each development review group with each package containing the items listed in the Construction Drawing Submittal Checklist.
Separate Packages shall be submitted for:
- Engineering Development Review,
- Stormwater Development Review,
- Transportation Development Review,
- Water Management Development Review, and
- Development Services Review.
- Color coded cover sheet (On top, filled out, see below for further information)
- Construction drawing submittal checklist
- Required items listed in submittal checklist for that review group
Color coded cover sheet system
Submittal packages will need to have a color coded cover sheet for the group they are submitted too. The color sheets are available at the Development Services Center Desk or through the Triage submittal meetings.
- Purple-Water Management
- Orange-Development Services
Submittals will be checked for completeness prior to beginning the review.
A complete submittal is one that includes all required items noted on the Construction Drawing Submittal Checklist . Once the submittal is determined to be complete:
- The project will pass the triage process
- The design professional will be informed via e-mail that their submittal was accepted for review
- All submittal packages will be distributed to the different review groups
- The review timeline starts
An incomplete submittal is one that is missing one or more required items noted on the Construction Drawing Submittal Checklist. Should the submittal be determined to be incomplete:
- The design professional will be informed of the missing items via e-mail
- Triage comments will be logged in the LDO system and will be accessible via LDO Access (http://ldo.durhamnc.gov/durham/ldo_web/ldo_main.aspx).
Triage Submittal Meetings
What are they?
Triage Submittal Meetings are held with Development Services Staff. The meetings are designed to give the developer and/or site designer the opportunity to have triage completed by Development Services Staff while they are present. The meeting can help determine if the construction drawing submittal is complete and that all requirements are met before the developer or site designer leaves City Hall.
When are they held?
Triage Submittal Meetings are available on:
- Monday: 11:00 am, 11:20 am, 11:40 am
- Wednesday: 11:00 am, 11:20 am, 11:40 am
- Friday: 11:00 am, 11:20 am, 11:40 am
There are only so many slots available every week for meetings and those slots are filled on a first-come first-serve basis.
Please understand this schedule is subject to change with the City’s Holiday schedule.
Each meeting lasts 20 minutes; no additional time will be given due to the LDO login schedule.
No additional items or plans will be accepted after 12pm for that day’s deadline. Anything received after the noon deadline will be logged in on the next submittal date.
How do I get a triage submittal meeting?
Email email@example.com for appointment availability. DSC will consult the Construction Drawing Triage Calendar and reserve a time for your submittal as available.
Triage Process Questions?
Please contact Development Services for guidance and assistance in this process by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 919-560-4326.
Construction Drawing Review
Each development review group will perform a detailed review of the construction drawing submittal.
- a 5-business day review for plans with reviews (Not Current Available-Coming Soon) or,
- a 10-business day review for plans with approved site plans reviews (Approved Site Plan with submitted CDs)
- a 15-business day review for concurrent reviews (Non-approved Site Plans), or
- a 15 to 20-business day review for consolidated reviews (Not Current Available -Coming Soon).
Where can I find the review deadline date?
Check LDO (http://ldo.durhamnc.gov/durham/ldo_web/ldo_main.aspx), call 919-560-4326, or email email@example.com
for for an update.
How will I be notified when the review is complete?
The reviewer will email the design professional that they have completed their review and the submittal is approved or comments/redlines are available to be picked up at DSC. You can also check LDO for status.
Where do I pick up reviewed Construction Drawings?
Reviewed construction drawings can be picked up at the Development Services Center Desk.
Before resubmitting plans for triage the construction drawings shall be revised to address the review groups comments redlined on the plans and documents or emailed to the design professional.
Responses are required to be made to all comments and redlines:
- Where written comments are provided by email or text file, the design professional shall provide written legible responses that address the comments and return them with the next submittal.
- Where comments are provided directly on plans or calculations, the design professional will highlight each comment and write a brief note as to how it has been addressed in the revised construction drawings, documents, and calculations and return them with the next submittal.
Construction drawing approval (Originals)
Originals will be triaged and routed to the development review groups for signature and final approval.
- Originals should be submitted after all comments and redlines have been addressed for all review groups.
- It is preferred that the Originals be unbound and secured with a rubber band(s).
- If revisions are requested during this final review coordinate the re-submittal of all originals through the Development Services Center. Slip sheets will not be allowed after originals have been signed.