DPR manages 56 playgrounds throughout the City! Playgrounds provide a safe place for children to play, connect, and learn.
Playground Safety Tips
Please follow these guidelines to ensure safe play:
- Adult supervision is recommended. Active supervision can prevent playground injuries.
- Choose play equipment that is appropriate for the child’s age. Follow posted signs indicating appropriate age.
- Check the area for hazards before allowing children to play, i.e. broken equipment, broken glass, trip hazards. If you find a hazard, please do not allow your child to play near or around it. Please report any hazards to Michelle Burger, 919-560-4355, ext. 27212.
- Remove helmets before playing on playground. Avoid wearing scarves, drawstrings, or other types of clothing that could get caught on equipment and become a strangulation hazard.
- Check to make sure equipment isn’t too hot! Play equipment that is in the sun can get very hot.
- Keep small children from putting pieces of playground mulch into their mouths.
- As with visiting any public spaces, wash hands after playing on the playground, and especially before eating.
White Oak Park Playground Closed
Playground Closures and Repairs
Play equipment will be removed from White Oak Park. The playground has been closed since August 2016 due to safety concerns. Continuous flooding and erosion of the land near the playground has made this location unsuitable for replacement of the equipment. Residents are encouraged to visit nearby playgrounds at Rockwood Park and Hillside Park.
|Park||Recommended Age for Play Structures||Swings - Standard||Swings - Toddler (Bucket Swing)||Special Features|
|American Village Park||2-12||Yes||Yes||Sand pit|
|Bethesda Park*||2-12||Yes||No||Tire swing, boulder|
|Burch Avenue Park*||2-12||Yes||Yes||Shaded|
|Burton Park||2-5, 5-12||Yes||Yes|
|C.M. Herndon Park||2-5, 5-12||Yes||No|
|C.R. Woods Park||2-12||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Hills Park||2-5, 5-12||No||No|
|Cook Road Park||2-5, 5-12||Yes||Yes|
|Cornwallis Road Park||2-5, 5-12||Yes||Yes|
|Crest Street Park||5-12||Yes||No|
|Duke Park||2-5, 5-12||Yes||Yes|
|Durham Central Park||5-12||No||No||Skate park|
|East Durham Park||2-5, 5-12||Yes||Yes|
|East End Park||5-12||No||No||Sprayground (seasonal)|
|Elmira Avenue Park||5-12||No||No|
|Forest Hills Park||5-12||Yes||Yes||Sprayground (seasonal)|
|Garrett Road Park||5-12||No||No||Tire swing|
|Grant Park (North)||2-5||No||No|
|Holt School Road Park||2-5, 5-12||Yes||Yes||Shaded, Nature Trail|
|Indian Trail Park||2-5, 5-12||No||No||Shaded, Fitness Trail|
|Long Meadow Park||5-12||Yes||Yes|
|Maplewood Park*||2-5, 5-12||Yes||Yes|
|Morreene Road Park*||2-12||Yes||Yes||Accessible playground|
|Northgate Park||2-5, 5-12||Coming soon!||Yes|
|Oakwood Park||2-5, 5-12||No||No||Tire swing|
|Old Chapel Hill Road Park||2-5, 5-12||Yes||Yes|
|Old Farm Road Park||2-5, 5-12||Yes||Yes|
|Old North Durham Park||5-12||No||No|
|Oval Drive Park||2-5, 5-12||Yes||Yes|
|Piney Wood Park||2-5, 5-12||Yes||Yes|
|Red Maple Park||5-12||Yes||No|
|River Forest Park||5-12||Yes||No|
|Rock Quarry Park (at Edison Johnson Recreation Center)||5-12||Yes||No||Sprayground (seasonal)|
|Rockwood Park||2-5, 5-12||Yes||Yes|
|Rocky Creek Park||2-5||Yes||Yes||Shaded|
|Shady Oaks Park||2-5, 5-12||Yes||Yes|
|Sherwood Park*||2-5, 5-12||Yes||Yes|
|Trinity Park*||2-5, 5-12||Yes||Yes|
|Twin Lakes Park||2-5, 5-12||Yes||Yes|
|Unity Village Park||2-5, 5-12||Yes||No|
|Valley Springs Park||2-5, 5-12||No||No|
|Walltown Park*||2-5, 5-12||No||No||Tire swing|
|Weaver Street Park*||5-12||Yes||No|
|Westover Park||2-5, 5-12||Yes||Yes||Boulder|
|Whippoorwill Park||2-5, 5-12||Yes||Yes|
|Wrightwood Park||2-5, 5-12||Yes||Yes|
*park is surrounded by a fence