Internal Audit Services
The Department provides assurance that internal controls are adequate to minimize risks and strives to add value through effective and meaningful recommendations. The Department also reviews external entities to determine whether revenues have been properly remitted to the City and to determine whether grant or pass-through funds have been appropriately utilized. In order to assist members of management in assessing the effectiveness of performance measures, the Department provides follow-up counsel and recommendations concerning functions reviewed. Ultimately, the Department and its staff serve as an efficient, internal means of promoting effective controls and productive operations.
The Department’s mission is to provide an independent appraisal function within the City and to assist the management team with effectively discharging their responsibilities. The Department accomplishes its mission by:
- Providing independent, objective assurance and consulting services to facilitate decision-making and to enhance the efficiency of government services;
- Performing independent assessments of systems controls and efficiency guided by professional standards; and
- Maintaining a dynamic, team-oriented environment that encourages personal and professional growth.
The Department focuses on specific goals in executing its mission. These goals include:
- Performing all audits within Government Auditing Standards;
- Developing the annual audit plan using risk-based analysis, operation complexities, personnel or operations changes, exposure (likelihood and impact on the organization) of an incident, and prior audit results;
- Providing auditors with training opportunities to meet GAS continuing education requirements and access to additional professional certification routes;